No announcement yet.

Let’s get this straight about the Ali-Marciano comp fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

I know he is a big favorite of yours so I won’t take this too personally, Marche.

But the fact is that the boxing cognoscenti of Rocky Marciano’s time didn’t rank him that highly in the all-time great standings. Because memories of the real greats (Johnson, Dempsey, Louis) were still fresh and vivid in their minds. And Rocky's relative crudeness didn’t meet those high standards.

It’s only today where that has gotten flipped on its head and people cluelessly rank the Rock over his betters.
    - - I realize boxing history ain't your think, but the only cognoscenti of Rocky's day ranking historical fighters was Nat Fleischer, and he didn't rank fighters until they retired.

When Rocky retired, Nat ranked him highly...end of...yeah...

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - I realize boxing history ain't your think, but the only cognoscenti of Rocky's day ranking historical fighters was Nat Fleischer, and he didn't rank fighters until they retired.

When Rocky retired, Nat ranked him highly...end of...yeah...
      As usual you are wrong and don’t know what you’re talking about.

Ray Arcel saw them all and would qualify as boxing cognoscenti, wouldn’t you say? He stated that Dempsey would murder Marciano.

How about Gene Tunney? Did he know a thing or two about boxing? He said Dempsey would flatten Marciano in one round.

Comment

As usual you are wrong and don’t know what you’re talking about.

Ray Arcel saw them all and would qualify as boxing cognoscenti, wouldn’t you say? He stated that Dempsey would murder Marciano.

How about Gene Tunney? Did he know a thing or two about boxing? He said Dempsey would flatten Marciano in one round.
        Arcel and Tunney... the two biggest Dempsey fanboys?

The Mike Casey Archive | The Cyber Boxing Zone

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post

Arcel and Tunney... the two biggest Dempsey fanboys?

The Mike Casey Archive | The Cyber Boxing Zone
          Are you saying Arcel and Tunney don’t qualify as boxing cognoscenti?

Comment

Are you saying Arcel and Tunney don't qualify as boxing cognoscenti?
            No, I'm saying, that if you're looking for an unbiased opinion on Dempsey... those two may not be the ones, you would want to listen to.

Comment

No, I'm saying, that if you're looking for an unbiased opinion on Dempsey... those two may not be the ones, you would want to listen to.
              Ok. How about we use Queenie’s choice of Nat Fleischer then?
              1. Jack Johnson
              2. Jim Jeffries
              3. Bob Fitzsimmons
              4. Jack Dempsey
              5. Jim Corbett
              6. Joe Louis
              7. Sam Langford
              8. Gene Tunney
              9. Max Schemling
              10. Rocky Marciano

Or Charley Rose’s rankings.
              1. Sam Langford
              2. Jack Johnson
              3. Jack Dempsey
              4. Joe Louis
              5. Jim Jeffries
              6. Gene Tunney
              7. Sam McVey
              8. Rocky Marciano
              9. Jim Corbett
              10. Max Baer
              Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 03-23-2024, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Ok. How about we use Queenie’s choice of Nat Fleischer then?
                1. Jack Johnson
                2. Jim Jeffries
                3. Bob Fitzsimmons
                4. Jack Dempsey
                5. Jim Corbett
                6. Joe Louis
                7. Sam Langford
                8. Gene Tunney
                9. Max Schemling
                10. Rocky Marciano

Or Charley Rose’s rankings.
                1. Sam Langford
                2. Jack Johnson
                3. Jack Dempsey
                4. Joe Louis
                5. Jim Jeffries
                6. Gene Tunney
                7. Sam McVey
                8. Rocky Marciano
                9. Jim Corbett
                10. Max Baer
                You're missing my point!

!'m not saying, that Dempsey wouldn't beat Marciano (he probably would)... I'm saying, that for an unbiased take on Dempsey, those two should probably not be the ones, whose opinions you should put too mucn into.

Comment

You're missing my point!

!'m not saying, that Dempsey wouldn't beat Marciano (he probably would)... I'm saying, that for an unbiased take on Dempsey, those two should probably not be the ones, whose opinions you should put too mucn into.
                  Nat Fleischer and Charley Rose are unbiased when it comes to Dempsey, surely? Because they also rank him much higher than Marciano.

Comment

Nat Fleischer and Charley Rose are unbiased when it comes to Dempsey, surely? Because they also rank him much higher than Marciano.
                    "Those two" in my former post refer to Tunney and Arcel - not Rose and Fleischer. Sorry for not making that clear.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

single hard punches can cause permanent damage. Marciano had 1 hit KO power if anyone ever had it.

you have to catch someone flush to knock them out. Thise he couldnât catch he beat down
                      Lastarza and Cockell were stationary targets at the end yet finished on their feet.
                      Walcott 38 was worn down to the point he was resorting to leaning on the ropes,to save his legs.

Louis 37 was doing okay until his legs went on him.

Layne was rendered ready to go by a steady body bombardment.

Archie Moore 41 was tenderized over 9 rounds, before being ground down."he got to me by sheer bulldogging grit"

Walcott decided to stay down in their 2nd fight.
                      Charles went the distance and that was his last stand, the prolonged punishment he received took some thing out of him and he wasn't the same in the rematch
                      "couldn't catch?"
                      None of the above were boxing on the retreat!
                      Mathews was a one punch ko,but he,at179lbs was an overstuffed Lhvy.

Willis Applegate who was11-14-2 and had lost his last 5 fights ,went the distance with Rocky without being floored.

Rocky's best 1 punch ko may have been over Bernie Reynolds,but I don't think there is any film of it.

imo Marciano was like Frazier, he wore you down.That is the definition of an attrition puncher!
                      Last edited by Ivich; 03-24-2024, 07:18 AM.
                      ShoulderRoll ShoulderRoll likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X