No announcement yet.

Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman FULL FIGHT WRITE UP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Ferdie got too much of Ali's detonating ego dust rubbed into him.

Only good boxing announcer was Don Dunphy who got his start in live ringside radio. In spite of having to talk nonstop about ring action to listeners, he was smart enough to realize viewers of TV could see the action, and only butted in when perhaps the fighters was hurt or running out of gas for nuance purposes. He never yakked incessantly over the fight or fighters like modern airheads do thinking they are the star of the show starting with loony Howie.

My laptop is always muted for fights to avoid their idiotic distractions which is a shame because I would like to hear the crowd noise, punches that the judges hear, all doable still with an announcer mute option.

The best fighter announcers were Big George, Ken Norton, and Sean Grady of all people. Most boxers make lousy announcers as critics of Wart and Tim Bradley will testify. Larry Holmes and Sugar Ray Leonard were run off the AOL board with their nonsense as another comparison.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRwXf6Pv-yE i found a video of the uk's fav commentator who said "get in there frank" and took stick for not been impartial.
    i swear you'd look hard to find any old guy that didn't love ol' harry carpenter doing the boxing. we brits have had some great commentators over the years.

Comment

Only good boxing announcer was Don Dunphy who got his start in live ringside radio. In spite of having to talk nonstop about ring action to listeners, he was smart enough to realize viewers of TV could see the action, and only butted in when perhaps the fighters was hurt or running out of gas for nuance purposes. He never yakked incessantly over the fight or fighters like modern airheads do thinking they are the star of the show starting with loony Howie.

My laptop is always muted for fights to avoid their idiotic distractions which is a shame because I would like to hear the crowd noise, punches that the judges hear, all doable still with an announcer mute option.

The best fighter announcers were Big George, Ken Norton, and Sean Grady of all people. Most boxers make lousy announcers as critics of Wart and Tim Bradley will testify. Larry Holmes and Sugar Ray Leonard were run off the AOL board with their nonsense as another comparison.
      Yea Don Dunphy was the best in my opinion as well.

You know I hate punch counters and announcers just love that nonsense, want to turn a fight into a basketball game keeping a running score.

I watched Marciano-Walcott (I) a while back.

Dunphy called the fight. Only ONCE in the eighth round did he feel the need to comment on the score saying only, Walcott is likely ahead on the score cards at this point. Imagine just once.

That was it, the rest of the fight he stayed focused on the fighters and action and didn't feel the need to run on about who was winning or losing.

He called the fight, not concerned with trying to sound knowledgeable to the viewing audience. He knew he knew his stuff and didn't need to try and sound profound at every moment, nor need to announce who he thought was winning every ten seconds.

Confidence vs. clowns like Jim Lamphey, Larry Merchant, and Harold Letterman, who think they have to sound profound at every moment. That's called no confidence.
      Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 03-29-2024, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Not that impressed with Dunphy.Foreman was sometimes excellent ,sometimes mediocre.O Grady was good,Norton was honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by max baer View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRwXf6Pv-yE i found a video of the uk's fav commentator who said "get in there frank" and took stick for not been impartial.
          i swear you'd look hard to find any old guy that didn't love ol' harry carpenter doing the boxing. we brits have had some great commentators over the years.
          Not impressed with Carpenter,he misread the Ali v Foreman fight so badly he had do it again! Old Reg was good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

Yea Don Dunphy was the best in my opinion as well.

You know I hate punch counters and announcers just love that nonsense, want to turn a fight into a basketball game keeping a running score.

I watched Marciano-Walcott (I) a while back.

Dunphy called the fight. Only ONCE in the eighth round did he feel the need to comment on the score saying only, Walcott is likely ahead on the score cards at this point. Imagine just once.

That was it, the rest of the fight he stayed focused on the fighters and action and didn't feel the need to run on about who was winning or losing.

He called the fight, not concerned with trying to sound knowledgeable to the viewing audience. He knew he knew his stuff and didn't need to try and sound profound at every moment, nor need to announce who he thought was winning every ten seconds.

Confidence vs. clowns like Jim Lamphey, Larry Merchant, and Harold Letterman, who think they have to sound profound at every moment. That's called no confidence.
            - - Actually Merchant had a bit of let the fighters fight with little commentary for the most part once he got established. What happens is HBO wants more of a show, so he started yakking a bit more, mostly correcting Lamps who couldn't shut up until he got caught up in the Bowe/Golota riot where Big George saved him from a beating.

Towards the end of his career, he liked to wrap up a fight with a bit of Shakespearean pomp that was interesting. Harold was a good addition between rounds, but they could've ditched Lamps whose boxing IQ was sorely lacking. HBO would've had a much better, more honest product.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post

Does this like work, Cowboy?

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/b...2#post32213776

Time to man up and admit a mistake, Byrd was ring magazine raked when he fight Vitali.

BY CLIFF ROLD
              Published Thu May 07, 2020, 01:30 AM EDT
              A deep dive through the career of Wladimir completed, the page turns to the elder of the impressive family duo.

It was a career cut short and then reimagined for Vitali Klitschko. Regarded far and wide as the best heavyweight in the world at the end of 2004, a series of injury issues caused multiple delays in a planned mandatory defense against former heavyweight champion Hasim Rahman in 2005. Following a knee surgery, an exasperated Vitali announced he was hanging up the gloves.

In the only two losses of his career to that point, his body had let him down. It appeared his body had let him down for good.

Three years later, with almost four years between fights, Vitali Klitschko challenged once-defeated Sam Peter for the WBC crown. It was the beginning of an intriguing second act.

Before arriving at that dramatic scene, and what followed, let’s start with…

The Tale of the Tape

Born: July 19, 1971

Height: 6’7

Hailed From: Kiev, Ukraine

Turned Professional: November 16, 1996 (KO2 Tony Bradham)

Record: 45-2, 41 KO, 2 KOBY

Record in Title Fights: 15-2, 12 KO, 2 KOBY

Lineal World Titles: None

Title Reigns: WBO Heavyweight (1999-2000, 2 Defenses); WBC/Ring Magazine Heavyweight (2004-05, 1 Defense); WBC Heavyweight (2008-13, 9 Defenses)

Entered Ring Magazine Ratings: October 1999 (#8 – Heavyweight; Cover Date - February 2000)

Last Ring Magazine Rating: August 2013 (#1 – Heavyweight; Cover Date November 2013)

Current/Former Lineal World Champions Faced: Lennox Lewis TKO by 6; Shannon Briggs UD12

Current/Former Alphabet Titlists Faced: Herbie Hide KO2; Chris Byrd RTD by 9; Orlin Norris KO1; Corrie Sanders TKO8; Sam Peter RTD8; Juan Carlos Gomez TKO9; Tomasz Adamek TKO10

Record Against Current/Former Champions/Titlists Faced: 7-2, 6 KO, 2 KOBY

Accomplishments

Vitali had an accomplished amatuer career, including a silver medal in the 1995 World Championships for Ukraine after a loss in the final to Russian Alexei Levin. Expected to be his nation’s super heavyweight of the 1996 Olympic team, Vitali was suspended for a banned substance violation. Wladimir would assume the slot on the team, defeating Levin among others en route to the gold medal.

Klitschko’s first professional gold came via the WBO’s heavyweight belt with a knockout of Herbie Hide in 1999. Vitali made two defenses before retiring on his stool with an injury against Chris Byrd in 2000.

Vitali won five in a row to earn a WBC mandatory position to challenge Lennox Lewis, losing on a cut after six rounds but launching himself to greater acclaim. Following the retirement of Lewis, Klitschko would claim the vacant WBC belt and Ring Magazine title with an eighth round knockout of Corrie Sanders. Klitschko would defend once before his first retirement.

Resuming his career in October 2008, Vitali forced a surrender from Sam Peter after eight rounds to reclaim the WBC crown. He would defend the belt nine times before retiring again in 2013. Since 2014, Vitali has fought in a different arena, serving as the mayor of Kiev, Ukraine. Vitali was elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2018.

Among a sample of outside the ring honors, Klitschko was named as or in the following:
              • Ring Magazine Comeback of the Year - 2008
              • International Boxing Research Organization All-Time Heavyweight #19 - 2019

Competition Faced

Capturing international attention with a lengthy knockout streak to start his career, Klitschko knocked out Hide in two for the WBO honors. Two defenses, also inside the route, ran his record to 27-0, 27 KO, before the Byrd defeat.

Again using the Ring Magazine rankings as a reasonable gauge of Vitali’s professional years, the below are the men who were ranked in the top ten when Klitschko faced them. Unlike the evaluation of Wladimir, there are no TBRB rankings included as they did not exist during Vitali’s active career. The ranking provided for each foe represents the most recent in Ring’s print edition prior to Klitschko facing them.
              • 04/01/2000 - RTD by 9 Chris Byrd (#10 at Heavyweight)
              • 06/21/2003 - TKO by 6 Lennox Lewis (Champion at Heavyweight)
              • 04/24/2004 - TKO8 Corrie Sanders (#3 at Heavyweight)
              • 12/11/2004 - TKO8 Danny Williams (#9 at Heavyweight)
              • 10/11/2008 - RTD8 Sam Peter (#2 at Heavyweight)
              • 03/21/2009 - TKO9 Juan Carlos Gomez (#9 at Heavyweight)
              • 09/26/2009 - RTD10 Chris Arreola (#6 at Heavyweight)
              • 12/12/2009 - UD12 Kevin Johnson (#10 at Heavyweight)
              • 09/10/2011 - TKO10 Tomasz Adamek (#2 at Heavyweight)

One can make a case for other quality wins not found in Ring’s top ten. Hide, whose only loss prior to Klitschko came against Riddick Bowe, could have had a case to be rated on the fringes in 1999. Kirk Johnson had been rated as high as eighth early in 2003 but had slipped out of the top ten by the time he lost to Vitali in December of that year. Like Povetkin for Wladimir, Vitali foe Manuel Charr is not regarded as a genuine former titlist as his heavyweight belt came only as the WBA sub-variety.

While light on contenders faced prior to the Lewis bout, Vitali faced six in a row across the end of his first act and start of his second, including four straight beginning with Peter. Peter had risen to be regarded, by Ring and many others, as the next best heavyweight in the class after Wladimir in 2008. From his win over Hide through the end of his career, Vitali handed six men their first career defeat, including 2004 Olympic super heavyweight gold medalist Odlanier Solis.

Following his win over Kevin Johnson, Vitali’s opposition declined for most of the remainder of his reign with the exception of the bout with Adamek in 2011. Adamek, a former light heavyweight and cruiserweight titlist, won six in a row at heavyweight to earn a shot at Vitali’s WBC belt. Adamek suffered the first of what would be only three stoppage defeats in a 59-fight career.
              Link still doesn't work. Takes you right back here. Even so if it's true , and I'm still not convinced, why no Byrd rematch? Wlad fought Byrd one month before Vits fought again. So no Don King excuses will work here. VK had several opportunities over the years to try and redeem that loss but chose not to. Nothing changes that fact....Cowboy.
              Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Link still doesn't work. Takes you right back here. Even so if it's true , and I'm still not convinced, why no Byrd rematch? Wlad fought Byrd one month before Vits fought again. So no Don King excuses will work here. VK had several opportunities over the years to try and redeem that loss but chose not to. Nothing changes that fact....Cowboy.

The link works a-okay by me. As does Wiki. I posted both the article and what Wiki had said anyway. I know you read it.

Simply man up and admit you were mistaken and Byrd was Ring Magazine ranked at the time Vitali fought him. Can you do that?

I see you are hiding behind why there was no re-match. As I explained to you before, Byrd has signed with Don King post Vitali Klitschko. King matched Chris Byrd vs. his own signed men of Rahman, Ruiz, and Golota as the IBF title changed between his men. As such he controlled the belt.

It takes two to agree to a re-match.

Do you have any source that claims Vitali would not take it? I'm guessing you do not.

You are out of bullets... cowboy and you can man up anytime now​.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ivich View Post

Not impressed with Carpenter,he misread the Ali v Foreman fight so badly he had do it again! Old Reg was good.
                  Where did this come from. Not heard this before

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post

The link works a-okay by me. As does Wiki. I posted both the article and what Wiki had said anyway. I know you read it.

Simply man up and admit you were mistaken and Byrd was Ring Magazine ranked at the time Vitali fought him. Can you do that?

I see you are hiding behind why there was no re-match. As I explained to you before, Byrd has signed with Don King post Vitali Klitschko. King matched Chris Byrd vs. his own signed men of Rahman, Ruiz, and Golota as the IBF title changed between his men. As such he controlled the belt.

It takes two to agree to a re-match.

Do you have any source that claims Vitali would not take it? I'm guessing you do not.

You are out of bullets... cowboy and you can man up anytime now​.
                    How convenient it works for you, dint you think? The link takes me right back to this thread. I'm not afraid to be wrong, but you still haven't shown me anything. And if you remember correctly the discussion (with us) was originally about Vits not rematching Byrd and you ducked out of it. If you would like me to find the exact place in this thread that won't be to difficult. As far as no rematch happening you have used every excuse you could think of, and now you want to argue Byrd didn't look for a rematch? The onus to rematch is on the lower, who was in fact Vits. It's funny you think Byrd who came in on 2 weeks notice, flew to Germany and won was afraid to rematch when he in FACT fought Wlad twice, and Wlad actually whooped his tail both times. So let's see here....by your logic Lennox shouldn't have retired after winning and owed a rematch, but Vits was under no obligation to seek a rematch with Byrd after losing. That just a BRI

BRILLIANT deduction!!!

And Byrd never fought Ruiz or Rahman. Neither did Vits for that matter. But Byrd did fight Wlad, and only a month later Vits fought Hoffman. So please stop trying to say it was any fault of King. It's lame and it's unfounded.
                    Last edited by JAB5239; 03-30-2024, 05:00 PM.
                    Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

• Not a good matchup for Foreman. The sheer volume of hard punches to George will be his downfall. Has there ever been a hw with the output of Vitali?

Furthermore Klit is smart. George getting beat up by Young and repeatedly rocked against Lyle makes me think that the giant Ukrainians got this.
                      Dr. Z Dr. Z likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X