Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Beterbiev a throwback fighter? Similar to Marciano?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Beterbiev a throwback fighter? Similar to Marciano?

Now and then you see em... For example, James Toney, Bernard Hopkins... Throwback fighters, guys that fight in a manner where, and when, the average fighter had more skills that were used in the ring.

Beterbiev is not simply a pressure fighter, nor is he simply a big puncher. Despite having a low key approach, Beterbiev has evolved to a point where he systematically breaks down his man risking very little, maintaining defensive responsibility throughout, and always ready to turn it up when the end is near.

When Marciano ruled the roost, he was faced with a situation where, despite his opponents not being prime, many of them were elite boxers who could punch. Against all odds, Marciano, who to the untrained eye looked like Thomas Hobbs described life: "nasty, brutish and short," developed a way of hitting heavy handed, to break down, disrupt any attempt for the opponent to set for a big punch, and eventually to impose his will and win. Technically Beterbiev has a similar effect, but does he use the same technical aspects as Marciano?

Marciano did not really cut the ring down so much as fight off a dominant fight line... Liston, who fought in a totally different fashion, likewise, used a dominant line, as opposed to cutting the ring down (Manny P is a good modern example of this approach). Beterbiev, cuts the ring down very well. He tends to square off opponents using a jab that changes speed and doubles as a feint. Beterbiev uses the jab more, as compared to Marciano, who favored a jumping hook, or simply, controlling distance by smothering the opponent.

Both men were heavy handed, Beterbiev has very technically sound punching form... His head hardly moves, he is a study in economy of motion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jSK...ghtologyBoxing

Marciano punched with more weight forwards, both men liked to loop their shots... why not? hitting straight, increasing length/reach would hardly matter for either man, both of whom would never have the reach of most of their opponents. Where as Beterbiev squares up, Marciano would come in, chin on shoulder, somewhat profiled. This may be a reflection on the level of opposition each man faced. Marciano was up against some great boxers who could pick apart a squared up opponent. Beterbiev, never fought such capable boxers... even Bivol, who is better than Smith, is hardly a boxer at the level of someone like Moorer, or Charles. I am aware of the age difference here of the common opponents for both men, but my intention is not to compare competition.

IMO the real similarity is how both men systematically use heavy hands and pressure to break down an opponent. While one can never tell, it certainly appears that both men hit very hard... maybe even equally hard.
    Ivich Ivich likes this.

- - Compare Rocky record after 20 fights to Beter's today and get back to us once you have recovered...yeah!

Comment

The only problem is he will not have time to complete ATG career, if he is good enough for one. Anybody with two hundred amateur fights or more before they turn pro will find themselves in the same situation.
      Ivich Ivich billeau2 billeau2 like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post
        The only problem is he will not have time to complete ATG career, if he is good enough for one. Anybody with two hundred amateur fights or more before they turn pro will find themselves in the same situation.
        True, about to turn 39 years old. I must say he is wearing his wear and tear well. Doesn't look or fight like his age.

But as usual in modern day boxing, I sense a lot of wasted talent. Could have fought quite a few much more worthy opponents.
        Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
          - - Compare Rocky record after 20 fights to Beter's today and get back to us once you have recovered...yeah!
          ??? Your point?

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post
            Yes. Of course Beter has fought some decent competition. Not great, but a lot of big strong middle division guys who are not slouches. So when people go back and examine his performance I believe it'll look good in that respect. There was an interview with a sparring partner of his and the guy really impressed me. He spoke very intelligently and he made that point. In this case, Beter well not fighting any great fighters, has consistently beat very good fighters. He's also done it in dominant fashion.

Unfortunately even if he beats b i v o l it doesn't really add to that. I guess in that respect he should aim to fight Canelo.

Comment

"Over time, he learned how athletes could avoid detection and created new undetectable structures of enhancers as well as graduating with a degree in kinesiology. He describes himself as a scientist and athletes would pay up to $20,000-a-year for his advice, plus $40,000 bonuses for significant victories."
              https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9150211.html

i believe this is the answer to beterbievs atypical findings at 38 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Gideon lock View Post
                "Over time, he learned how athletes could avoid detection and created new undetectable structures of enhancers as well as graduating with a degree in kinesiology. He describes himself as a scientist and athletes would pay up to $20,000-a-year for his advice, plus $40,000 bonuses for significant victories."
                https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9150211.html

i believe this is the answer to beterbievs atypical findings at 38 years old.
                From what I was told, VADA often has atypical findings, including with some of Hearn's fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

??? Your point?
                  - - Precariously balancing on the point of your noggin...

Comment

Originally posted by kara View Post

From what I was told, VADA often has atypical findings, including with some of Hearn's fighters.
                    I wasn't being serious bro just messing around I stopped paying attention to all that when victor conte said atypicals aren't usually made public it's not evidence enough of anything much.

Comment

Working...
                    X