No announcement yet.

Biggest Style Change for a Boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest Style Change for a Boxer?

What noteworthy boxer had the biggest change in their style (ie was one type of fighter but then consistently changed to a different type)? For the sake of discussion lets say the change had to have come after they were already established as a viable contender, as I am sure there have been some who changed a lot after a couple of fights in.

I'd say the change of "Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather to "Money" Mayweather was subtle, but substantial

His hands being brittle & his power not really translating to higher weight classes made it needed.

Comment

- - Ali stationary sitting down on his punches vs Frazier.

Old move and jab air Ali gone forever.

Comment

I was going to say Floyd, but D3vil beat me.

Nonito Donaire is a good example. As he got older, he completely changed his style to rely more on timing, and counter punching so he could continue, since he no longer had the speed that he had, but still had the power.
        The D3vil The D3vil likes this.

Comment

Foreman I vs. Foreman II

Comment

Camacho -- from greatness to grabber. His in and out was a beauty to watch.

But his power didn't move up from with him from (Jr.) LW to WW, and his legs got ******* old.

Comment

Ali was an obvious example. I want to see style changes within a fight. Called adaptation. Who adjusts that well and quickly?
              The D3vil The D3vil likes this.

Comment

Hearns being hurt early in Leonard I, with Stewart telling Hearns, "You be the boxer now."

Hearns stopped trying to ****, and began out boxing Leonard until he didn't.

That night despite the loss, I think Hearns showed he was capable of more than just blowing people out.
                Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Crawford, turned southpaw whenever he was having issues and the fight changed

Comment

Working...
                  X