No announcement yet.

The "Greatest Authority on Boxing" Says Jack Dempsey Ducked Harry Wills

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Greatest Authority on Boxing" Says Jack Dempsey Ducked Harry Wills

According to Jack Dempsey, Tad Dorgan was "the greatest authority on boxing."

Here he is settling one of the debates that has existed here for a long time. His conclusion: Dempsey ducked Harry Wills. Certainly not a surprise if you ask me. He makes good points.

- - Source was too busy drawing cartoons while drooling over Dempsey vs Wills.

Too busy mopping his mess up to know about the lucrative offer by Red Sox Owner offered them to fight in Red Sox Stadium after Dempsey whooped Willard for the title that Boston politics left dead in the water.

Too busy tending to #2 biz to know about Frazee upping the offer the next year and offering Yankee Stadium as the venue that NY politics left dead in the water.

Cartoonist, eh? Sorta like U something he musta drawn before he expired after all that hard work cleaning up his messes...
    GhostofDempsey GhostofDempsey likes this.

Comment

poppycock

Trav gets 35 points for his heavy ownage of the Dempsey-Wills duck debate. This thread is just one example.
      travestyny travestyny likes this.

Comment

Wait, shouldn't we first waste the next five days arguing over who is the "Greatest Authority on Boxing." One clown remark after another.
        GhostofDempsey GhostofDempsey likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
          poppycock

Trav gets 35 points for his heavy ownage of the Dempsey-Wills duck debate. This thread is just one example.
          We liked you better when you were actually banned for stalking and doxxing. Grown ass man still cheerleading for a psychotic attrition poster who never admits when he is wrong.
          Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
            poppycock

Jack Johnson thought very highly of Dorgan's boxing knowledge,and Dorgan was a presence at all the big fights. He was certainly knowledgeable,more than that,who can say?

The fact remains Wills was the standout challenger for Dempsey's title for about 5 years,and he never got a title shot and he should have. Racial politics undoubtedly had a lot to do with this,as did Rickard and Kearns, but can we say with any degree of certainty that Dempsey was entirely blameless in this shabby affair.
            I don't think for one moment that Dempsey feared Wills and I would pick him to stop Harry, bigger, slower moving men did not have great winning track records against Jack,and the name Wills on his winning resume would certainly have added to Dempsey's standing,but it didn't happen.

I can't give Dempsey a free pass for avoiding Wills,he could have insisted Kearns got him the fight,but he was content to abide by the status quo and not make waves,that's how I see it.
            Last edited by Ivich; 09-16-2023, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
              Wait, shouldn't we first waste the next five days arguing over who is the "Greatest Authority on Boxing." One clown remark after another.
              This forum has deteriorated down to the level of the Lounge,perhaps they should merge?
              Last edited by Ivich; 09-16-2023, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                - - Source was too busy drawing cartoons while drooling over Dempsey vs Wills.

Too busy mopping his mess up to know about the lucrative offer by Red Sox Owner offered them to fight in Red Sox Stadium after Dempsey whooped Willard for the title that Boston politics left dead in the water.

Too busy tending to #2 biz to know about Frazee upping the offer the next year and offering Yankee Stadium as the venue that NY politics left dead in the water.

Cartoonist, eh? Sorta like U something he musta drawn before he expired after all that hard work cleaning up his messes...
                Well hey, I think Dempsey knows more than you about who the greatest authority on boxing is

Tell us more. Did Dempsey accept those offers?

Were other offers made? What happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
                  Why bother? This thread is about Dempsey's opinion on who is the greatest authority on boxing and what that great authority thought of the Dempsey/Wills duck debate. It's pretty clearly laid out above. I just thought it should be noted on the record.

Did you enjoy the read?
                  Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post

We liked you better when you were actually banned for stalking and doxxing. Grown ass man still cheerleading for a psychotic attrition poster who never admits when he is wrong.
                    I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. The problem is that you are hardly ever right.

But you were right about one thing:

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    He avoided fighting Harry Wills,

Yes, he did. Yes, Dempsey sure did.

Comment

Working...
                    X