No announcement yet.

Most boring fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most boring fighters

A slightly boring subject. I guess we can use as a 'consumer advice - thread'. Which fighters not to watch unless you have severe problems falling asleep....

So here we go.

Can you name some of the dullest fighters you know?

I got:

Cory Spinks

Pernell Whitaker

John Ruiz

Eyup Can

Nikolai Valuev

and my winning sleep inducer:

SVEN OTTKE!!!

Who have you got?

PS: This thread is an offspring from a debate in another thread.

Wlad - jab, jab, clinch. But he wasn't only boring, he was repulsive to watch how he was breaking the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by fifth_root View Post
      Wlad - jab, jab, clinch. But he wasn't only boring, he was repulsive to watch how he was breaking the rules.
      He was indeed in some snoozers. Ibragimov springs to mind. On the other hand his KO-percentage is high and I struggle to name a HW champion not breaking the rules, so that in itself isn't a stand-out.
      Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

bugner.jpg I've won this one already. JOE BUGNER!!!!
        How damn boring just stand against the ropes for 15 rounds with guard up yet he went far that way.
        Last edited by max baer; 08-31-2023, 07:39 AM.
        BattlingNelson BattlingNelson likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post

He was indeed in some snoozers. Ibragimov springs to mind. On the other hand his KO-percentage is high and I struggle to name a HW champion not breaking the rules, so that in itself isn't a stand-out.

Ok, man. To me it is, because he was abusing it on purpose in almost every fight. He was glass-chinned and that was the tactic to not get easily punched. True, a powerful athlete, but also a great cheater.

Comment

Originally posted by nathan sturley View Post
            bugner.jpg I've won this one already. JOE BUGNER!!!!
            How damn boring just stand against the ropes for 15 rounds with guard up yet he went far that way.
            Great choice! Did Bugner ever go on a sustained attack? lol

Comment

Great choice! Did Bugner ever go on a sustained attack? lol
              no never, never ever!

Comment

The 'grabbers list.'

Gianfranco Rosi (Worst of the worst.)

Pernell Whitaker (Master of the non-event, "Did something happen that last round?" . . . "Almost, but then it didn't.")

Wald Klitschko ("Get your program, ya can't tell one fight from another without a program" ; "What will he do next." . . . Oh, yea, never mind.")

Muhammad Ali (Not Clay just Ali.)

Jack Johnson (His purported mastery of defense was half holding; Ali before Ali, was Ali.)

snoozers all

P.S. Yes, I often found Ali boring to watch. But sure, there are exceptions.

P.S.S. By happenstance I was in Assisi Italy, Gianfranco Rosi's birth place. A (beautiful) tourist trap town where some important dead monk and his birds are buried.

Walking the street, I notice many of the shops were suddenly (and actually in some cases) un-clerked.

The damn town went quiet. I purposely went into a store that looked empty and kept walking until I was peering into the store's dusty back room. Found three old Italian men watching a small b&w TV.

(ROSI-GOMIS for the IBF Mediterranean Middleweight Title.)

I was waved in and got to watch the local boy stall, grab, and hug his way to a W 12-UD.

It could have been the perfect day, the venue and the company were perfect, but I had to, out of respect, cheer on 12 dismal rounds of holding.
                Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 08-31-2023, 09:28 AM.

Comment

A slightly boring subject. I guess we can use as a 'consumer advice - thread'. Which fighters not to watch unless you have severe problems falling asleep....

So here we go.

Can you name some of the dullest fighters you know?

I got:

Cory Spinks

Pernell Whitaker

John Ruiz

Eyup Can

Nikolai Valuev

and my winning sleep inducer:

SVEN OTTKE!!!

Who have you got?

PS: This thread is an offspring from a debate in another thread.
                  Great list except for Pea who is simply too good to belong in this class among giants. I would like to include Derrick Gainer as a dark horse candidate. He doesn't get the respect he deserves.
                  BattlingNelson BattlingNelson likes this.

Comment

Primo
                    Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X