No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey vs Lennox Lewis in their prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post

I recognized a difference. I posted elsewhere from abt. 2002 - 2010 and found my contributions had largely become rude and dismissive; and I took a decade off. Lol.
    I took like 4-5 years off and just came back a few months ago as a part-timer. But I got fed up long before I left. I got tired of putting in the time and effort to make a good piece of analysis or researching something to present to the forum, only to have people spit in my eye for effort. That shlt wears on you. Eventually you say "Why bother?" These days I mostly just talk football (soccer, far Yanks) or smack Lounge fascists. Boxing is dead and I don't follow it anymore.

Comment

Starship Trooper, this is an excellent post.
      It's certainly an improvement over his usual over the top, insulting ,boorish sewage.If you can post like this why would you descend to typing ****?

Comment

I guess allot of those 2009 posters are long gone. So why respond to their opinions? If I did, I'd certainly challenge the idea that the fighters of Lewis' era fought differently than those of Dempsey's. Ray Arcel trained Benny Leonard and Roberto Duran and used to laugh out loud when people said those things.
        Arcel trained the fat, come -backing welterweight version of Leonard. What evidence is there Duran did this?

Comment

- - Where Mr. MonkeyMan?

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

Arcel trained the fat, come -backing welterweight version of Leonard. What evidence is there Duran did this?
            What do you mean by the bold?

Do you believe Lewis a more sophisticated boxer than Duran? Not trying to be cheeky, really don't follow your point.

Arcel saw the game grow, change, and diminish over four decades; Willie seems to be saying Arcel saw no major change in technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

Do you believe Lewis a more sophisticated boxer than Duran? Not trying to be cheeky, really don't follow your point.

Arcel saw the game grow, change, and diminish over four decades; Willie seems to be saying Arcel saw no major change in technique.
              Yeah, I don't get that either - I'm curious to know, what it means!

Comment

My post is in normal type.?
                What it says on the tin, what proof is there Duran ever laughed at the suggestion?Where can I find link to it? My point is Arcel never trained the lightweight Benny Leonard and said himself Benny was all washed up when he worked with him Arcel also named Duran as the best lightweight he ever saw. What major changes in technique since the 20's have you seen?
                Last edited by Ivich; 06-17-2022, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post
                  My post is in normal type.?
                  What it says on the tin, what proof is there Duran ever laughed at the suggestion?Where can I find link to it? My point is Arcel never trained the lightweight Benny Leonard and said himself Benny was all washed up when he worked with him Arcel also named Duran as the best lightweight he ever saw. What major changes in technique since the 20's have you seen?
                  I'm spun around on this . . . I believe there hasn't been any major advancement in boxing technique since 1920s. I suspect (size allowed for) 1920s fighters, e.g. Greb, Walker, Flowers, could match fighters today.

I read Willie's post to say that Arcel was doing the laughing not Duran.

Comment

I'm spun around on this . . . I believe there hasn't been any major advancement in boxing technique since 1920s. I suspect (size allowed for) 1920s fighters, e.g. Greb, Walker, Flowers, could match fighters today.

I read Willie's post to say that Arcel was doing the laughing not Duran.
                    Oh perhaps I've mis read it.A senior moment,no doubt!
                    billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X