Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather's Defense vs. Whitaker's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zab Judah is probably the most accomplished welterweight Mayweather ever beat (and not very accomplished at that) and Judah struggled to win a split decision over a near 40 year old Rafael Pineda.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotto-Rulez View Post
      Both were great, Pernell relied more on athleticism, Floyd more on pure technique and reaction punches. It's 50/50.
      he prett much covered everything

Comment

having better this & better that is almost immaterial..

u assess a certain technique a fighter has by measuring the quality of their opposition...

it all comes down to it...

Comment

Floyd's defence is more economical and more effective, Whitaker's is more athletic and cool to watch

Comment

floyds defence relies on his boxing brain a lot more

Comment

I agree with the assertion that Floyd's defence is based on flawless technique first and foremost, whilst Pea's was more a case of athleticism and reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                i am sitting on the fence as far as who had the better defence goes But i cannot agree with you that Mayweathers offense was better than Whitakers, Floyd has virtually `no-offense` where as Sweet-Pea had an excellent offense
                Man, do you even watch fights? I seriously wonder. Pernell had a jab. That's honestly about it. Mayweather can throw any punch well, when he chooses to. Pernell used his jab a hell of a lot more than Floyd, it won him fights, but it was far from "great offense". He got by with it due to his superb defensive skills.

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
                Even if that is the case, which im not saying it is, it does not really hold much water because Floyd wont fight the 147 pounders and he did not fight Tszyu either.
                The only reason he didn't fight Tszyu is because Hatton retired his ass. Floyd was going to be Tszyu's next fight after Ricky.

Comment

Originally posted by mike ruler View Post
                  Whose was better. Both amazing.
                  Whitaker's was better, he had much more movement and elusiveness while Floyd uses elbows and pushes people and holds at times. Nothing against Floyd, 2nd to Pernell of the last 25 yrs, I agree but he borderline cheats when in close with the elbows.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                    Whitaker's was better, he had much more movement and elusiveness while Floyd uses elbows and pushes people and holds at times. Nothing against Floyd, 2nd to Pernell of the last 25 yrs, I agree but he borderline cheats when in close with the elbows.
                    Lowering your head below the waist is also "cheating". Pernell is more guilty of that than Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                      Lowering your head below the waist is also "cheating". Pernell is more guilty of that than Floyd.
                      You may be right but this looks pretty close to what you are saying here:

Pernell was a crafty weird moving guy, Floyd is more reactive but I have seen him basically elbow people while moving from side to side avoiding punches on the inside.

Comment

Working...
                      X