Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Boxing is so popular in UK and not in France?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJC View Post
    War Crimes and acts of terrorism? Namely?
    There were many atrocities commited by U.S personnel during World War 2
    One case example during the Allied invasion of Sicily,Where unarmed civilians were killed on the orders of General George Patton.

I think you could possibly make a case for not dropping the second atom bomb and every country does things in war that they are not proud of but the Japanese and Nazi conduct in the second world war was far worse than anything the allies did.
    You could make an argument for not dropping either bomb,They didn't have the sack to go on with a planned invasion so they took,What was a supposed to a response to a threat and used that threat against unarmed civilians.

The act that they commited is terrorism,by every definition of the term.The effects of the nuclear attacks are still felt to this day,With all the talk of terrorism in this modern day,The united states is responsible for the single greatest act of terrorism in modern history.

We know of the crimes that the japanese and Nazi's commited because we told of them,We were the victors and as history shows,The victor always tells the story,There are no dout countless war crimes that have still not been told,That were commited by U.S military personnel,They have the history of commiting these great war crimes in every war they participate in.

America fought in Europe and the Pacific and many brave men died in both theatres and we should be grateful for their sacrifice. You should be ashamed of not acknowledging the American dead in Europe. America could have concentrated all their efforts in the Pacific as there was zero danger of Germany attacking them but they didn't.
    The United States only declared war on Germany once Germany declared war on them,Two years it took and it wasn't even under the act of which to stop this great emerging power that was Nazi Germany,They sat back knowing of what was occuring and did nothing until they got bitten on the backside.

You should discuss discrediting of those who had fallen fighting for our freedom with your good friend Poet.

Ask him what he thinks of the red army's efforts.And they call me a troll

I would agree that Russia were the biggest factor in deciding the European war but they declared war 2 days after the Hiroshima bomb purely to try and get some political influence in the Pacific and had zero effect on the Japanese surrender.
    The Soviet invasion of Manchuria took the Japanese by great suprise,They had violated a treaty that had been signed between the two nations,Even when Germany invaded the Soviet Union,Japan held to the pact,They never in a million years expected the Soviet Union to break the pact believe it or not.

Japan had survived the Tokyo firebombings,They survived the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.The Soviet Union's declaration of war was the final act.

Originally posted by Ylem View Post
    Tunney was french too right?
    Not all Irish people are alcoholics and thick as ****..........well their not all thick as ****
    Last edited by BigMacFoster; 09-25-2009, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Pain View Post
      they have not so many great boxers as uk and the whole thing is about media, i don't know how the marketing in boxing is in france
      Ricky Hatton, Amir Khan for example.

As far as marketing concern, there is no marketing for boxing in France, no ads for big events, absolutely nothing!!!!! I don't know perhaps they're afraid that promoting boxing will bring more brutality and violence in our life, i know it's deeply stupid but i try to find some reasons...

Comment

Originally posted by BigMacFoster View Post
        There were many atrocities commited by U.S personnel during World War 2
        One case example during the Allied invasion of Sicily,Where unarmed civilians were killed on the orders of General George Patton.
        In war atrocities happen America commited them as did Britain and Russia but we fell way behind the Nazis and Japan in my view.

You could make an argument for not dropping either bomb,They didn't have the sack to go on with a planned invasion so they took,What was a supposed to a response to a threat and used that threat against unarmed civilians.
        The estimate of casualties for the U.S. was a minimum of 50,000 and up to 250,000 for a mainland invasion of Japan. You are the President, you have a weapon that can end the war immediately or you can write letters to 50,000 mothers explaining how their sons died because you decided not to get your hands dirty. What would you do?

We know of the crimes that the japanese and Nazi's commited because we told of them,We were the victors and as history shows,The victor always tells the story,There are no dout countless war crimes that have still not been told,That were commited by U.S military personnel,They have the history of commiting these great war crimes in every war they participate in.
        But they also have a free press which takes them to task for doing so as in Vietnam. This was absent in Germany and Japan.

The United States only declared war on Germany once Germany declared war on them,Two years it took and it wasn't even under the act of which to stop this great emerging power that was Nazi Germany,They sat back knowing of what was occuring and did nothing until they got bitten on the backside.
        True but having done so they fought in the European theatre whereas they could easily have concentrated solely on the Pacific theatre as there was ZERO danger from the Germans to America.

Ask him what he thinks of the red army's efforts.And they call me a troll
        I know Poet is very anti communist but I would hope that he would acknowledge their losses in both World Wars and that they were the main factor in the defeat of Germany.

The Soviet invasion of Manchuria took the Japanese by great suprise,They had violated a treaty that had been signed between the two nations,Even when Germany invaded the Soviet Union,Japan held to the pact,They never in a million years expected the Soviet Union to break the pact believe it or not.
        Yes it was a suprise as there was still the Japan-Soviet Neutrality Pact which was never revoked and the Japanese were also trying to broker a peace deal through the Russians.
        The timetable was:
        August 6th Hiroshima bomb dropped
        August 8th The Japanese cabinet and Emperor decide to end the war and decide to announce it to their military on the 9th.
        The Russians invade Manchuria
        August 9th. The Nagasaki bomb was dropped whilst the Japanese cabinet and Emperor were discussing what conditions to accept re the surrender.

I think the Soviet invasion of Machuria was opportunistic rather than important and I believe that most historians regard it as a footnote rather than pivitol.

Comment

Hi ! instead of going out clichés, I advise you to review your history.
          the history of France does not begin at the second world war.
          In the history of Europe, France has won the most military victories.
          Napoleon, Jeanne d'Arc does that tell you anything?

Comment

Originally posted by hayazaki View Post

To sum up Boxing can't be popular because it's not a team sport, we don't have huge champion, and there is absolutely no coverage from the media. And it won't change and the only reason is because as the sport is not popular no one wanna start training in boxing so...
            Thanks. Good points, although the first one is shaky. UK loves their football and rugby too. Yet they have a strong boxing interest. Why....

...maybe because of your second point. France hasn't had a great champion to jump-start interest in the sport. The UK has always had colorful, high-profile champs.

I have not been to your country for many years, and didn't see the "inner city" areas, so I'm not sure if boxing gyms are popular. I doubt poor people see boxing as a way to a better life, since they don't have a role model, probably not too many pro fights are scheduled anywhere, and the goal would be to win the Olympics, which doesn't pay anything. And how many French boxers won an Olympic medal to ignite that kind of interest?

American boxing was on the decline for a while because young kids saw new alternatives, like football.You can get a scholarship to play football, and then make big bucks. Fortunately there are still enough high-profile American boxers to be role models for kids. Plus, at the ghetto level, it's easier to get into a boxing gym than find two teams and a football field.

Why there's more boxing interest in Germany, and even Italy, I have no idea. Spain not so much? One or two guys from Holland, Sweden or Denmark? Now a sudden influx from Ukraine? People in Ukraine see boxing as a wait out, more than people in other countries.

[Another question is why Mylene Farmer is huge in France, but remains virtually unknown in America despite duets with Moby, Seal and Sting! That goes for the star of the 80's and 90's, Veronique Sanson, who is also unknown here, even though she was married to Stephen Stills for a while. Zut!]

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre62 View Post
              Hi ! instead of going out clichés, I advise you to review your history.
              the history of France does not begin at the second world war.
              In the history of Europe, France has won the most military victories.
              Napoleon, Jeanne d'Arc does that tell you anything?
              - -England also burned JdArc on a stake.

One poor officer looked on in horror to cry out, "we're doomed. We just executed a saint!"

Comment

Culture.

Fine wine, fine food, fashion, art, music, architecture....

Growing up you tend to absorb what is around you and that helps to shape your future, not all the time of course but for the most part it does.

The french do not have a long history of fighters that kids are exposed to growing up. On TV as a kid we would watch Bruno, Mcguigan, Cooper etc. The french didn't have that, it was all the feats of the football and rugby greats, that inspires those who are interested in that field.

Comment

Originally posted by hayazaki View Post
                  And last but not least A lot of people don't like boxing because they consider boxing as a violent, dirty, brutal, bad
                  Boxing is. So, Frenchmen in general don't think that humans should be repeatedly hit to the head.
                  Seems to me, Frenchmen are clever people.

Comment

Just look at what happened in WW2.

Comment

The French are great at lots of things, but boxing and rock n' roll aren't on that list.

Comment

Working...
                      X