No announcement yet.

Why was Ali so extremely active?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was Ali so extremely active?

He had 4 fights in 1975, 4 fights in 1976. he was already past his prime than.

Prime version: 5 fights in 1966.

He fought all contenders and all fringe contenders in his era and that is in his 20 years fighting. That is why is he the greatest.

$$$$! He had an expensive lifestyle and the black ******s leeching him.
    GhostofDempsey GhostofDempsey likes this.

Comment

In 1966 Joe Frazier fought 7 times. It wasn't unusual in those days. In 1965 Sugar Ray Robinson fought 14 times.
      GhostofDempsey GhostofDempsey likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
        In 1966 Joe Frazier fought 7 times. It wasn't unusual in those days. In 1965 Sugar Ray Robinson fought 14 times.
        I hear what you say but Ali was the biggest boxing icon ever. I would say that fighting twice should be enough for him?

Comment

Ali and Frazier had a 2.5 million guarantee for The Fight. They took in, most say, around five million each.

Ali and Foreman had a five million guarantee for Zaire. (Don't know the final figures.)

For most of his other fights he received considerably less. His fight with Richard Dunn got him around a half a million in 1975 or 1976.

Ali also only pulled in around 44% of his own purses (before taxes). Had many hands in his pocket.

(Amazingly Anglo Dundee was not one of them; he never got a % from Ali only flat rates. I guess the NOI kept him at a distance.)

But in the end I think Ali fought often because he was old school and thought he was suppose fight often. I once heard him say he wanted to mimic Joe Louis and have his own 'bum of the month' club.

I think we can blame SRL for being the first (smart enough, popular enough fighter) to create a career where he made fighting infrequently a positive negotiating tactic. Good for him, bad for us.
          Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

They didn't know much about brain damage i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
              - - U shush now!

OP needing a hero worshipping thread, and Ali, bless him, R.I.P...

Comment

Because he was great and had guts.
                JakeTheBoxer JakeTheBoxer likes this.

Comment

He had a lot of chowder to put on the table, and his Mossback friends wanted their share

Comment

Hi all, this is Boxingscene Hall of Famer and boxing historian the Great Nash delivering the verdict: There was no Netflix or computer games back then, he had to fight more to fill his time. Nash out.
                    Ben Bolt Ben Bolt likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X