No announcement yet.

Ring vs BWAA: Fight of the Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring vs BWAA: Fight of the Year

Consider this the sequel to my original Fights of the Year thread. We’re all familiar with Ring Magazine’s Fight of the Year award that they like to hand out annually. However, the Boxing Writer’s Association of America has been handing out their own equivalent to that called the “Ali-Frazier Award” every year since 2002. (Fun Fact: That’s exactly 80 years after Ring first handed out FOY back in 1922).
    Now, most of the time Ring and the BWAA have been on the same page when it comes to what the best fight of each year has been. But there have so far been 5 occasions where the BWAA has given the Ali-Frazier Award to a different fight than the one that was awarded Ring’s more prestigious “Fight of the Year”.
    I’m curious to know which organization you felt made the better choices and why.

​​​​​​
    Ring: Arturo Gatti vs Micky Ward 3

BWAA: James Toney vs Vassily Jirov

Ring: Israel Vasquez vs Rafael Marquez 2

BWAA: Kelly Pavlik vs Jermain Taylor 1

Ring: Giovanni Segura vs Ivan Calderon 1

BWAA: Amir Khan vs Marcos Maidana

​​​​​​
    Ring: Victor Ortiz vs Andre Berto 1

BWAA: Delvin Rodriguez vs Pawel Wolak

Ring: Canelo Alvarez vs GGG 2

BWAA: Jarrett Hurd vs Erislandy Lara

​​​​​​
    Ring: Luis Nery vs Azat Hovhannisyan

BWAA: Jaime Munguia vs Sergiy Derevyanchenko

Edit: 2023 saw another split. I’ve fallen behind on the sport. So I’ll probably have to check these out.
    Last edited by Flickergrab98; 03-23-2024, 03:42 PM.

BWAA's look like a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      BWAA's look like a joke.
      I’d have to disagree. I watched a lot of these fights for the sake of this post. I personally think Khan vs Maidana was way better than Segura vs Calderon. Toney vs Jirov is a classic and slightly edges out Ward vs Gatti 3 for me. The rest are ones that I’m totally 50/50 on which I like more.

Comment

Originally posted by Flickergrab98 View Post

I’d have to disagree. I watched a lot of these fights for the sake of this post. I personally think Khan vs Maidana was way better than Segura vs Calderon. Toney vs Jirov is a classic and slightly edges out Ward vs Gatti 3 for me. The rest are ones that I’m totally 50/50 on which I like more.
        I have to agree with Flicker on this one.
        Flickergrab98 Flickergrab98 likes this.

Comment

I think there are enough qualities in any fight to naturally allow for differences of opinion. Hard for me to get a handle on which fight might be materially better. I did always like the Ward Gatti fights, and am a big fan of Toney. Ill pick Gatti Ward because these two really set a precident for leaving it in the ring.

Comment

- -Beauty contests for you is it now?

Khan vs Maidana was ruined by the usually despicable Joe Cortez who wrapped himself around Maidana anytime he was on top save the sole time he wrapped up the money fighter Khan to prevent him from hitting the deck.

Since I don't hold BWAA or Ring in any sort of modern respect other than ongoing artifacts of a bygone era only useful as a current talking point, I like most really don't care since we have no input.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              I think there are enough qualities in any fight to naturally allow for differences of opinion. Hard for me to get a handle on which fight might be materially better. I did always like the Ward Gatti fights, and am a big fan of Toney. Ill pick Gatti Ward because these two really set a precident for leaving it in the ring.
              Speaking on behalf of the casual fans again, (and not actually comparing the fights) Toney's style doesn't lend itself to creating a FOY, it's subtle and you kind of need to know the game to appreciate him.

Ward/Gatti wasn't difficult to understand. You could see the punches coming from the cheap seats, and nobody in that ring had mastered the feint.
              Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 11-25-2021, 06:48 AM.
              billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                I understand why Ring gave it to that one, I really do. Even if the third Gatti vs Ward fight wasn’t as good as the first, the story of Gatti overcoming both a knockdown and a broken hand to win the fight and prove himself as a true Blood & Guts Warrior is quite an awe inspiring story.
                Still, the relentless pressure and determination of Jirov combined with Toney’s crafty counterpunching also makes for quite a show. Plus, this is the second time Ring squandered an opportunity to shine a much deserved light on the Cruiserweight division. They did the same when they gave FOY to Steve Cruz vs Barry McGuigan in 1986 rather than Holyfield vs Qawi, which is far more talked about and remembered today.
                billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

I understand why Ring gave it to that one, I really do. Even if the third Gatti vs Ward fight wasn’t as good as the first, the story of Gatti overcoming both a knockdown and a broken hand to win the fight and prove himself as a true Blood & Guts Warrior is quite an awe inspiring story.
                  Still, the relentless pressure and determination of Jirov combined with Toney’s crafty counterpunching also makes for quite a show. Plus, this is the second time Ring squandered an opportunity to shine a much deserved light on the Cruiserweight division. They did the same when they gave FOY to Steve Cruz vs Barry McGuigan in 1986 rather than Holyfield vs Qawi, which is far more talked about and remembered today.
                  You and Pep, the post before, both make a similar point regarding "which fan base?" when we discuss great fights. I agree with you about the Jirov fight, and have always marveled at subtlety when it is effective and a boxing match becomes sublime. To the Greeks any art had the potential to elevate a person, so whether it be an Opera sung masterfully, or subtlety expressed creatively and effectively in the ring, it evolves those who understand the process. There has to always be a place for this process.

On the other hand, Gatti Ward speaks deeply and primordially to Manhood, the value of effort for its own sake, and how friendship and peace come out of this process. Neither Gatti, nor Ward were ever the fighter that Toney was, but that "A for Effort" really made an impact lol. Yeah! that Hollyfield Qawi fight... Wow!!
                  Flickergrab98 Flickergrab98 likes this.

Comment

I think after much thought, I’ve chosen Toney vs Jirov, Vasquez vs Marquez 2, Khan vs Maidana, Rodriquez vs Wolak, and Alvarez vs GGG 2.
                    That’s 3 points for the BWAA and 2 for Ring magazine.

Comment

Working...
                    X