No announcement yet.

Post-career. Thoughts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

Louis' two donated purses were to the Army ^Navy WW2 Relief Funds.
    Joe Louis' autobiography ," My Life" is very good.I also haveJ oe Louis Black Champion by Richard Bak.Joe Louis byRandy Roberts ,and Joe Louis by Joe Louis Jnr.
    - - Interesting Richard Bak wrote likely the definitive Bio of the record setting baseball wizard, Ty Cobb, often accorded the meanest man in baseball, an overrated title, but...

19 years old signed by the Detroit Tigers reports for first full preseason just months after his beloved mom shot his beloved pop in an accidental shooting that was heavily investigated as a possible murder. He was already feisty beyond his peach fuzz and quickly seized a starting outfield position that benched a popular player. Further Bakdrop, pun intended, is Cobb's a Southerner Rebel Protestant in a largely Northern Catholic Union baseball league that MLB was in those early days.

In a preseason exhibition in Georgia, a drunken black groundskeeper POs him enough to chase him off into the locker room that upsets his big black wife who berets him to the point he starts to strangle her on the field in public view. The starting catcher was Charlie Schmidt, the toughest man in baseball who entertained with strong man feats from Coal Hill, Arkansas who also boxed an exhibition with Jack Johnson. No matter her race, Cobb broke the cardinal Southern rule of physically abusing a woman, so Charlie pulls Cobb off that leads to punch exchanges then broken up by the team.

Tensions simmering, Charlie finally accepts a formal fight with Cobb after wisely moving out of Georgia. That results in an epic beatdown supposedly used as the model in the all time great film Cool Hand Luke when the prison warden orders Big Burly George Kennedy to beat up Paul Newman in the only kind of fight Hollywood could produce of epic emotional proportions.

I'll check my bookseller, so thanks.

billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Interesting Richard Bak wrote likely the definitive Bio of the record setting baseball wizard, Ty Cobb, often accorded the meanest man in baseball, an overrated title, but...

19 years old signed by the Detroit Tigers reports for first full preseason just months after his beloved mom shot his beloved pop in an accidental shooting that was heavily investigated as a possible murder. He was already feisty beyond his peach fuzz and quickly seized a starting outfield position that benched a popular player. Further Bakdrop, pun intended, is Cobb's a Southerner Rebel Protestant in a largely Northern Catholic Union baseball league that MLB was in those early days.

In a preseason exhibition in Georgia, a drunken black groundskeeper POs him enough to chase him off into the locker room that upsets his big black wife who berets him to the point he starts to strangle her on the field in public view. The starting catcher was Charlie Schmidt, the toughest man in baseball who entertained with strong man feats from Coal Hill, Arkansas who also boxed an exhibition with Jack Johnson. No matter her race, Cobb broke the cardinal Southern rule of physically abusing a woman, so Charlie pulls Cobb off that leads to punch exchanges then broken up by the team.

Tensions simmering, Charlie finally accepts a formal fight with Cobb after wisely moving out of Georgia. That results in an epic beatdown supposedly used as the model in the all time great film Cool Hand Luke when the prison warden orders Big Burly George Kennedy to beat up Paul Newman in the only kind of fight Hollywood could produce of epic emotional proportions.

I'll check my bookseller, so thanks.
      I am English, all I know of Cobb was that he was called the Georgia Peach.
      Last edited by Ivich; 06-08-2022, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
        - -Most of Joe's problems were from the IRS in spite of donating a couple of purses to local charities during the WW2 and serving honorably during the draft. He did have a stint with ******* after retirement, but that seems to have been temporary. Don't know if there was ever a definitive bio on Joe...anyone?

Most of Ali and SRR financial problems were those of a spendthrift combined with the physical and mental dissipation after long careers.
        Also... They had assets that others took from them through theft. You just do not get the quality friendships with an entourage.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          I think our souls are given a choice: Either take care of yourself, don't strive for too much, look the other way when danger is present and be careful! Never do anything risky and perhaps you can live a long healthy life.

Or, go for it! Be a meat eater and when you sense danger, get in there and defend! Enjoy risk and reward, accept accidents... use that body up! so by the time you meet your maker the joints are ground to bone dust, the organs are signaling "Danger Will Robinson!" Strive for high ideals and be willing to die young.

I can relate to fighters... I never was one, but I fought a lot, and ****** around the mats a lot, and did crazy things a lot... But I have no regrets. My body is so arthritic now from years of kicking, slamming, getting slammed, my fingers look like they grew out in different directions, having been dislocated so many times... I have slash and burn marks up my arms from being a chef, and facial scars from fighting... But I accomplished things and would not trade it. I imagine boxers probably feel the same way.

I believe Ray Robinson once said he had no regrets about the high times.
          But did he ever regret staying in boxing for so long? Coming back a few times too many perhaps?
          billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post

But did he ever regret staying in boxing for so long? Coming back a few times too many perhaps?
            - - Joe was quoted as greatly regretting predating Gorgeous George and Haystacks.

Comment

Working...
            X