Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Canelo's punching power rank among the under 175 boxers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does Canelo's punching power rank among the under 175 boxers?

Yeah, I know exactly what I am doing.

From a historical stand point how does his power stack-up to the hardest hitters under 175?
    - MartialMind

He broke a guy's face.

No clue - how does one judge power, by KOs?

This guy has that kind of power. Takes people out with one punch and breaks bones.

I felt he looked like a small Dempsey or Marciano, a straight ahead fighter who wants to trade; you can't let him hit you clean because his punches will break you.

I guess I would rank him quite high; right now I would say no one under 175 can't trade with him, he will have to be outboxed. Right now no one will take him out either; no on under 175 can risk standing in front of him.

The problem I am having with this is that power isn't everything - when it comes to sheer power Rocky Graziano's right was one of the most powerful punches in the MW division but Rocky wasn't a complete fighter by any measure.

When you compare Alvarez to other great champs that have all the skills (as does Canelo) Monzon, Hagler, Cerdan, Zale, SRR, I would say he hits as hard or harder than all of them.
    - WilliePep

Good luck outboxing him. I love the way he rolls with punches like he was doing vs. Golovkin. All the nuances with his game. If he wants to box you, he can do it at the highest level. If you want to brawl, he can really sit down on his punches and throw with incredibly bad intentions. This guy is so damn good it's scary.
    - Travestyny

GGG's knees were never buckelt by Clenelo.
    The Old Left Hook

I mean he has pretty much everything in power. He can KO you with short shots or with long windups. Power in both hands, he's just naturally heavy handed but he really knows how to put his full weight into every punch.
    BKM

Not history. Unfortunately I cannot move the topic to the relevant section in the new format, so I'll close it and you will have to make the thread in NSB yourself.
    BattlingNelson

Sorry bud, I disagree, and obviously, will flex my disobedience.

If I want to know what NSB thinks of Tommy Ryan or Kid McCoy's power compared to Canelo my ass will ask those fools. If I want to know what history section has to say I'll ask here. I appreciate this thread and the input and wonder what the **** makes talking about Fury or Joshua's historical standing history but Canelo's power from a historical perspective is not history.

Dude didn't ask about ****ing 3G. He's asking about power below 175 and if that ain't Fitzs country your ass don't know what history is.

That said, comparably, guys like McCoy and Fitz regularly took out 175ers and above while Canelo's toughest work above his own natural weight is an old man. I think you have to favor Kid and Fitzs until Canelo proves his power carries against larger men. Broken faces and all. Fitzs took out some of the toughest HWs of his era. I don't reckon Canelo needs to fight Fury to match it, but, dudes from 175-200 are about the range Canelo needs to KO, good, tough ones, to prove his power damages men who are used to being hit by 175+
    Willie Pep 229 likes this.

I respect BN authority and situation but I viewed the question in a historical sense and thought I gave a historical based answer. Granted I needed to express my opinion regarding Canelo's capabilities now before I could make a historical evaluation, but I thought I was talking history.

I even was able to sneak in a Rocky Graziano reference and that ain't easy to do . . . Graziano is much maligned around here.

Comment

When asking this question do we mean in a raw comparison of power: ie his power compared directly to a powerful featherweight, or on a pound for pound comparison? If its raw comparison, then clearly he is high on the list as he fights right at that limit of weight designated here; meaning even a super devastating featherweight, say Saddler won't hold a candle to him because of the size discrepancy.

That being written, I am hesitant to evaluate him on his historical power quite yet (despite some recent great showings). Lest we remember he spent most of the last five years being known as a good, but not great punching, counter puncher. Since moving up above SWW he has had 9 fights, over half of which have gone the distance; going back to the Mosley fight (2012) over half of his fights have gone the distance.

He is showing great power of late, but I am hesitant to put him with with the Langford Fitz crowd just yet.

Comment

I think this is a stupid question. Canelo is entering his prime years now. Right now his stance in punching power history is insignificant and hence the question is stupid. He wouldn’t crack the top 50.

But ok if you respected posters of this board wants to debate it then go ahead. I’ll see if I can merge the threads.

Edit: I can’t, so continue the discussion here. From a moderating standpoint, this new forum is a disappointment.
        Last edited by BattlingNelson; 05-11-2021, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          I think this is a stupid question. Canelo is entering his prime years now. Right now his stance in punching power history is insignificant and hence the question is stupid. He wouldn’t crack the top 50.

But ok if you respected posters of this board wants to debate it then go ahead. I’ll see if I can merge the threads.

Edit: I can’t, so continue the discussion here. From a moderating standpoint, this new forum is a disappointment.
          Are Joshua and Fury not in their primes?

Comment

- -Useless thread. Been KOing 180-190 lbers for years when the need arises. U boys need to study up as his legacy won't be KO artist but as a consumate boxer with underrated power.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

Are Joshua and Fury not in their primes?
              Yes?

Point is to evaluate them after their career is over. IMO at least. You guys want to evaluate Canelo at half time and now you have a thread to do it in.

Comment

Saunders and others took his punches pretty well. Canelo hit Saunders flush plenty of times before the injury and he never went down or was seriously in trouble.

Comment

Working...
                X