Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muhammed Ali And Joe Louis: Who's The Greatest Heavyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
    50/50... Like the comment on 3 punch combo's.. Ali., by his own admission was weak on defense.. Against Foreman, Lyle, Shavers & Liston he could narrowly afford to be.. Frazier & Norton (who had more handspeed) gave him massive problems, & had Cooper not been of a raw bone complexion, would'a done the same..
    Now this was Louis's game... Any further thoughts??
    in his comeback he got hit more, in his prime he really didn't get hit..other then that left hook from Cooper and I think Doug Jones. Louis could perhaps knock him down, but not out.

keep in mind he was never stopped, not even by huge punchers. Louis isn't going to stop him, and he's not going to win a decision either.

I'm actually going to pick Ali by a late round KO. or a Ud.

Comment

In my opinion this is the hardest question to answer in all of sports. The people that came before me, and taught me everything about the history of boxing say Louis. On the other hand, I would like to think that my eyes, and personal opinion have some weight. I’m certain that anyone who has paid attention to boxing at all can see how great Ali’s resume actually was. My forgiveness of either one of these gentlemen at number one is easily granted.

Comment

Originally posted by UKnowIt View Post
        I don't know if you would consider me as one of the great minds on this forum but I do know a lot about boxing history. This would be a toss-up for either fighter since they both have advantages over the other.

While Ali had a great chin, we shouldn't forget that he's been knocked down a few times including nearly getting counted out in the first Henry Cooper fight. Everyone knows Joe Louis was one of, if not the, best punchers pound for pound and he definitely hit harder and more accurate than Henry Cooper. So a Louis knockout is possible.

We also shouldn't forget how quick Ali was. Great footwork and longer reach would keep Louis at bay most of the time, including his lightning-quick jab.

Overall, I think Ali would be the favorite in this fight to win by decision but don't be too surprised if Louis wins by a knockout. If Louis gets Ali at the right moment, it could be all over.
        Louis was a hard hitter, true. But Ali fought Liston, Foreman, Shavers and Ron Lyle without being KO'd. He rose from a Frazier knockdown on 3. No Joe Louis wasnt going to knock Ali out.

Ali was too fast, had too much reach and would just stay outside. Flat footed Joue Louis with footspeed comparable to a sumo would be a sitting target, that's keeping it real.

All the power and combination hitting in the world means nothing if you cant land on a guy. Better chin, better movement, better speed, longer reach...

Ali wins a lopsided UD or scores a late stoppage.

[Holmes would beat Louis too].

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          in his comeback he got hit more, in his prime he really didn't get hit..other then that left hook from Cooper and I think Doug Jones. Louis could perhaps knock him down, but not out.

keep in mind he was never stopped, not even by huge punchers. Louis isn't going to stop him, and he's not going to win a decision either.

Yep.... I'd be swayed towards Clay in a match up with Louis, & maybe the 1st 2 years as Ali, but then Louis's resume kinda decides it.. I'd say any fight after the age of 30, Ali loses, & it is a hairs breath...

Comment

You may be right there Mickey. Much as I'd still slightly lean towards Ali upto 1975 I wouldn't want to see him try to rope a dope Louis, Joe was too fast and precise against stationary targets. He wouldn't blow himself out as Foreman did either.

Comment

This is primes here. Ali UD's Joe Louis, maybe late stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

Ali was stopped by holmes, but nobody ever considers that fight, Ali was way past it.

Pre 70s Ali wins by UD or late stoppage.

Post 70s Ali still has a chance, but rope a dope wouldnt work on Louis, and even though Louis is the best puncher overall of all time, he couldnt KO Ali thats for sure. Its a toss up UD 60/40 in Alis favor.

Comment

louis' power was in his inside game, which ali would eliminate and win 9 out of 10.

Comment

Ali achieved so much against such quality opposition and the case can be made that he missed quite a bit of his prime due to his license being revoked, as the opening post mentioned his superior hand speed and footwork would likely prove too much for Louis.

Comment

I think louis has enough acuracy to at least draw with ali if it goes the distance. but i really think that joes gonna catch ali with one good one and set him down and out.

thats all i can see i really dont think louis is going to win if it goes the distance against ali but i dont think ali can escape enough damage to pull off the win either

ali knocking out louis?
                      or
                      louis knocking out ali?

im gonna opt for louis knocking out ali if it dosent go the distance, and i would really like to think it wouldnt.

Comment

Working...
                      X