No announcement yet.

10 best Heavies NOT to win the title...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by princemanspoper View Post
    If it were a simple error then fair enough,but it wasn't.You were using logic that completely contradicted the whole point of the thread thus exposing yourself as a first class dunce

by the way when you are wrong it's always considered good manners to admit your idiocy and be humble about it rather than throw out insults like a sore dunce

I shall await your apology
    Dickwad, you were rude by calling me a dunce in the first place. You're not getting an apology clown.

Comment

"title" meaning world title

George Chuvalo
      Ken Norton
      Oscar Bonavena
      Luis Angel Firpo
      Ron Lyle
      Archie Moore
      Andrew Golota
      Sam Langford
      Ike Ibeabuchi
      Ernie Shavers

if NAB's title counts in then include

Gregorio Peralta
      Ingemar Johannson
      Karl Mildenberger

Comment

Originally posted by VINXGC View Post
        "title" meaning world title

George Chuvalo
        Ken Norton
        Oscar Bonavena
        Luis Angel Firpo
        Ron Lyle
        Archie Moore
        Andrew Golota
        Sam Langford
        Ike Ibeabuchi
        Ernie Shavers

if NAB's title counts in then include

Gregorio Peralta
        Ingemar Johannson
        Karl Mildenberger
        Good list!....

I'd be tempted to replace Golota with Jimmy Young & maybe Norton with Peter Jackson, mainly because Norton was awarded the WBC strap after it was stripped from Spinks.. Should Norton be deemed as a non titlist, then I'd probably put him at the very top.. Very good list though..

Comment

I didn't see Jerry Quarry on any lists. He was definitely a world class fighter that gave many fighters below Ali, Frazier, and Foreman trouble. In the 80's he would have been champ.

Comment

Originally posted by freudianfloyd View Post
            I didn't see Jerry Quarry on any lists. He was definitely a world class fighter that gave many fighters below Ali, Frazier, and Foreman trouble. In the 80's he would have been champ.
            It's my thread.. He's on there all right.. Check the very first post..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
              1. Sam Langford
              2. Harry Wills
              3. Joe Jeanette
              4. Ike Ikeabuechi
              5. David Tua
              6. Gerry Quarry
              7. Larry Middleton
              8. Ernie Shavers
              9. Tommy Farr
              10.Joe Bugner

This is a spur of the moment list (honest!) & I've bound to have left a few good opinions out, so give me your views..
              Have taken into account that Ken Norton was awarded the title after Leon Spinks was stripped of it, so maybe he should be in the list to.. Will leave it up to you....
              Jerry Quarry
              Ron Lyle
              Oscar Bonavena
              Zora Folley
              Jimmy Young
              Louis Angel Firpo
              Tom Sharkey
              Joe Jeanette
              Cleveland Williams
              Sam Langford

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                Jerry Quarry
                Ron Lyle
                Oscar Bonavena
                Zora Folley
                Jimmy Young
                Louis Angel Firpo
                Tom Sharkey
                Joe Jeanette
                Cleveland Williams
                Sam Langford
                Good list & a few in common.. Since starting the thread, I'd now remove Middleton Bugner & Farr for Jackson,Young & Lyle.. Can't find room for Bonavena, Williams, Sharkey, Folley & Firpo.. Bonvena being the best, but the others, a tadge chinny I feel..

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  Hi Sonnybox, I personally didn't score the Ali fight to Young but many experts did. To be honest even those who scored it for Ali didn't think it was a good showing from him.....Ali was not on form that night, his heaviest ever (230 Lbs). He spent alot of time on the ropes clowning around and his accuracy and timing were not great that night.

As for Young vs Foreman, close fight for me, a very good one too! Foreman was great at points in the fight but was very ill afterwards and collapsed in the dressing room. He would have almost certainly been stopped if it were a fifteen rounder. If you only gave Young 2 rounds this seems very harsh and way out of line with most experts and fans assessments. Even if the fight was declared a draw that would be a great achievement for Young.
                  i just thought Foreman was the aggressor throughout and Youngs pity-pat punches did not impress me, its a long time since i viewed the fight but i can recall that each time i did watch it i always had Foreman the winner.. years ago i read an article by Arthur Mercante who said when he scored a fight he used a method of breaking a round down into 3 separate minutes, fighter A could win the first 2 minutes of a round behind his jab and fighter B could land a 14 punch salvo in the final minute of the round yet Mercante would score the round for fighter A, myself i have no judging experience what so ever just like 99% of fight fans so i like to score a fight while watching it in the way the great Arthur Mercante does, its very surprising how different your scorecard is to your friends

Comment

It's my thread.. He's on there all right.. Check the very first post..
                    Oh, sorry I was looking at first names, but I see now, you just have it with a G. Well then, good list.

Comment

1. Sam Langford
                      2. Harry Wills
                      3. Joe Jeanette
                      4. Ike Ikeabuechi
                      5. David Tua
                      6. Gerry Quarry
                      7. Larry Middleton
                      8. Ernie Shavers
                      9. Tommy Farr
                      10.Joe Bugner

This is a spur of the moment list (honest!) & I've bound to have left a few good opinions out, so give me your views..
                      Have taken into account that Ken Norton was awarded the title after Leon Spinks was stripped of it, so maybe he should be in the list to.. Will leave it up to you....
                      Jimmy Young

Comment

Working...
                      X