No announcement yet.

best boxing book you've ever read????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJC View Post
    The one who most reckon was the toughest unlicensed fighter was Cliff Fields who didn't exactly have the most stellar pro boxing career, in fact his career was ended by Richard Dunn. It seems that any of them who had any kind of boxing background flourished such as Fields or Pretty Boy. From what I understand Gorman wasn't even heard of by most of the guys he reckoned he fought or who avoided him. Been to a few unlicensed fights and it is really just like watching 2 guys fighting in a pub, not for me.
    Cliff fields did beat Lenny McClean (who beat Roy Shaw)
    McClean never admitted or mentioned this in his book..

Just seen the post by Kid McKoy (all very true)

Comment

"Championship Fighting" by Jack Dempsey.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
        Cliff fields did beat Lenny McClean (who beat Roy Shaw)
        McClean never admitted or mentioned this in his book..

Just seen the post by Kid McKoy (all very true)
        Lot of ommissions in Lenny's book, shame because he has edited one of the funniest storys as it doesn't particularily put him in a good light.

Comment

Lot of ommissions in Lenny's book, shame because he has edited one of the funniest storys as it doesn't particularily put him in a good light.
          Doubt if a book called 'THE LOSER' would have sold too many copies...
          I suppose, once the henchmen pass on, the river runs dry...
          Joey Pyle was the only man to make any serious dough out of "all that" caper...

Comment

Doubt if a book called 'THE LOSER' would have sold too many copies...
            I suppose, once the henchmen pass on, the river runs dry...
            Joey Pyle was the only man to make any serious dough out of "all that" caper...
            Don't know I wouldn't mind being a £ behind pretty boy

Comment

Don't know I wouldn't mind being a £ behind pretty boy
              Roy was recently ripped off for most of his savings by a woman he shacked up with..

Comment

Roy was recently ripped off for most of his savings by a woman he shacked up with..
                Shaw took the woman to court (!!!) and a few months ago won a judgment against her. She was ordered to repay the money plus damages.

Comment

Yes did hear something about this ages ago.

Comment

Im going on a massive biography session at the moment, a few years ago i read 3 tyson bio's.

Tyson biography by paul weller was brilliant
                    Iron Mike Tyson - Was a mash of different articles and chapters of books written about tyson, was a interesting read.
                    Tyson, the nature of the beast - was written by a prof. or doctor, i didnt really enjoy this as much. Its really focused on racism and how it was for ever present in Tysons life.

Currently reading: Sonny Liston: His Life, Strife and the Phantom Punch by Rob Steele

Then im going to read:
                    King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of the American Hero by David Remnick

Comment

The Manassa Mauler - Randy Roberts.

Excellent book. Very informative and the information is well researched.

Comment

Working...
                      X