No announcement yet.

10 greatest resumes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
    ** I'd drop Ali and Walker and add in Gans, Attell, and Pep. Make a strong case for Joe Jeannette. Jeannette a slow starter as a novice, in with Jack Johnson and the like. Not the brilliant boxer/puncher others were, but he had a long productive career and only Sam Langford has more HOF fights than Joe.

That should be ten, so now everyone sorted.......

You would drop Ali`s resume?

The word **** springs to mind.

Comment

In pound-for-pound terms and with apx the same amount of fights, Jimmy McLarnin's "resume" is much better than is Ali's.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi View Post
        In pound-for-pound terms and with apx the same amount of fights, Jimmy McLarnin's "resume" is much better than is Ali's.
        Nice call Yogi. McClarnin sports an excellent resume.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          Nice call Yogi. McClarnin sports an excellent resume.
          More than one-third of McLarnin's fights were against fighters that had Hall-of-Fame careers according to those voting on such things, and if I'm not mistaken, I think him having wins against 12 different HOF'ers is tops in that category.

For comparision's sake, Ali only defeated about 6 or 7 different HOF'ers throughout his career.

Comment

More than one-third of McLarnin's fights were against fighters that had Hall-of-Fame careers according to those voting on such things, and if I'm not mistaken, I think him having wins against 12 different HOF'ers is tops in that category.

For comparision's sake, Ali only defeated about 6 or 7 different HOF'ers throughout his career.
            ** McLarnin always underrated and forgotten which is strange considering he lived to age 96, only passing a few years ago.

Jim Jeffries was 7-1-1 in HOF fights, 41% of his entire career against the 6 HOFers he fought. Never understood how he could've fallen from the ranks as far as he has based upon a loss that in retrospect was an impossible task for any fighter in history.

By the close of 1901, Jeff was into his 3rd year as champ, 15-0-2 in 18 fights compared to his natural peer, Jack Johnson who was 4-3-4 in his 13 fights.

Johnson was also marked up badly with a 0-2-1 record against two fighters Jeff had already handled. Keep in mind that by box rec, both record their first pro fights within a year of each other.

Me thinks he was downgraded for a relative short career, but they always ignore the quality of Jeff's comp, the acclaim and criticism which distorts a fighter's life, and the money which afforded him luxuries well beyond the reach of 99% of the population and contributed to his well established massive weight gains between fights.

Two other fighters often ignored by the usual suspects who have FANTASTIC resumes as far as top competition and number of recorded fights are Tommy Loughlin and Slapsie Maxie Rosenbloom, chalk full of HOFers and era contenders of every imaginable stripe between them. Not shabby records at 117-29-13 and 222-42-31 respectively. Neither could pop a soap bubble with only 36 KOs combined in 500 fights, so they had to have been extraordinarily skilled, tough, and tricky fighters to fight on so long.

Oddly enough, I can't find where they never met in spite of long overlapping careers, weight divisions and tons of the same opponents.
            Last edited by LondonRingRules; 03-20-2009, 09:18 AM.

Comment

ya........JAB5239 is right..........

Comment

I would include Joe Gans

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Gans-Biogr...7747719&sr=1-1

Comment

Ali beat all the top HW in arguably the division's most competitive era. How can anyone hate on that?

Comment

Ali didn't beat as many "hall of famers" but he makes up for it with the ATg's he did beat. Frazier, Foreman, arguably Liston. The hall of famers he did beat looked like ATG's compared to what some of you call a Hofer.

Those are 3 top tier heavyweights. "Hofer's" doesn't really hold much water, Arturo Gatti is a "Hofer", anyone who drew a crowd is a hofer.

I am starting to change my tune about Ali however, the man was beatable. Even during his prime he had some close calls against average oponents and even lost to some good boxers in the 70's. This get's over looked because of the wins he garnered over top tier opponents. So Ali generally ends up coming across as unbeatable.

The Frazier that came in at 205 beat Ali, at 215 however, he lost. Something to think about.

It's the Foreman fight that really makes Ali's greatness skyrocket, this can end up giving him an almost "overated" (yes that sounds bad, since he DOES sport the greatest resume in HW boxing) look. Yes Foreman was prime, but look at the circumstances - extreme heat, Foreman's poor stamina = exhaustion for Big George. Foreman was beating on Ali for the first 5, a combination of heat and over exertion did him in. This isn't an excuse for Foreman, but if the ring had been in a much less extreme climate things could have looked different.

I also don't buy that Ali's game plan was to use the rope-a-dope from the beginning, It just turned out that way. All throughout the press Ali said he was going to dance and out box him. The first round Ali tried just that. Then he got hit, from then on he was just praying George would tire. And he did. No fool in their right mind would have chose to lie on the ropes against Foreman at that time.

It's probably the greatest win in HW history, but people tend to use this win as to why Ali is unbeatable.
                    Last edited by them_apples; 03-22-2009, 10:48 PM.
                    Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                      Ali didn't beat as many "hall of famers" but he makes up for it with the ATg's he did beat. Frazier, Foreman, arguably Liston. The hall of famers he did beat looked like ATG's compared to what some of you call a Hofer.

Those are 3 top tier heavyweights. "Hofer's" doesn't really hold much water, Arturo Gatti is a "Hofer", anyone he drew a crowd is a hofer.
                      The hall of famers McLarnin beat were no Arturo Gattis though, he had wins over Barney Ross, Tony Canzoneri, Lou Ambers, Benny Leonard, Pancho Villa, Young Corbett III, Fidel LaBarba, Bud Taylor, Billy Petrolle, Louis Kaplan, Sammy Mandell, Jackie Fields...

Basically a who's who of the era's greatest names and he fought them from bantamweight up to welterweight.

Ali has to be rated up there though.

Comment

Working...
                      X