No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins vs. Michael Spinks at LHW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
    Given that he's best known nowadays for being cannon fodder for a prime Mike Tyson, it's easy to forget just how good Spinks was 175. Emerging unbeaten and undisputed champ in a talent-rich era of light-heavies is no mean feat.

I've always believed he'd KO Hopkins, Jones and Calzaghe, and I'll stand by that.
    Beat me to it! The problem as I see it with any thread featuring Michael Spinks is far too many people just think he's that dude that lost to Tyson in 90 seconds. In all honesty the dude was past it at Heavyweight and didn't really carry any of the traits that made him great at 175 other than his awkwardness.

Poet

Comment

Spinks is better than Hopkins at every aspect of the sport of boxing.. Spinks KO7

Comment

Hopkins is a middleweight. The LHW Hopkins is not the same as the middleweight Hopkins. Spinks at LHW was a monster and would decision the smaller Hopkins at LHW but still it seems rather unfair to compare an ATG LHW to a middleweight.

Comment

I don't see Hopkins as competative with Spinks or any of his contemporaries at 175. Any of the Muhammads (Dwight Quai, Eddie Mustapha and Matthew Saad), Marvin Johnson. Or Yaqui Lopez for that matter. It overrates Hopkins to think he would be on par with LH greats. I'd go as far as to say Hopkins probably loses to a prime Virgil Hill (I realize how ridiculous it sounds to say "prime Virgil Hill", by the way.). It's just this era of 15-20 years of bad light heavyweights that allowed RJJ and Hopkins to be factors.
          _Rexy_ _Rexy_ likes this.

Comment

Spinks by close decision. Don't think Bhop would be able to hurt him. And his cautious style might not bode well against Spinks, who was pretty quick and crafty himself. Bhop ain't a natural LHW, but assumin it was p4p prime, I still don't think he'd have the stuffto edge Spinks. Could be a decent fight at best. I'd say Spinks gets off first more often and occasionally counter to a decision, 8-4.

Comment

This is a 'No Brainer'... Spinks UD. I've absolutely know doubt, B/Hop would be more than tough enough to hang in there, but this is Spinks we're talking about.. I think as someone said earlier, 'Do the maths' You know it makes sense..

Comment

Spinks would castrate him. He'd outbox him so thoroughly Hopkins would cry for days.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepSleep View Post
                  Hopkins is a middleweight. The LHW Hopkins is not the same as the middleweight Hopkins. Spinks at LHW was a monster and would decision the smaller Hopkins at LHW but still it seems rather unfair to compare an ATG LHW to a middleweight.
                  If Hopkins had fought in the early 80's he would of been a lhw, due to the same day weigh in rules.

Comment

spinks is one of the best light heavies ever
                    bhop hasnt done much in comparison too him at 175
                    gota go with spinks decision

Comment

Spinks would most likely win a decision but Hopkins is crafty enough to give him quite a few problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X