3. Harry Wills
      4. Lloyd Marshall
      5. Peter Jackson
      6. Holman Williams
      7. Young Stribling
      8. Earnie Shavers
      9. Kid Norfolk
      10. Young Firpo

Honorable mention: Herol Graham. The greatest British boxer never to win a World Title. Oh why oh why, did you stick your chin out to the mighty hand of Julian Jackson. Ringside officials were actually going to call the fight off at the end of round 4 due to the pasting he was giving Jackson. Such a shame.

Love the addition of Lloyd Marshall both you and McGrain have contributed to the list. Marshall not only beat many of the great fighters from his era, but history itself.

Im curious as to you addition of Young Firpo. I have a feeling you meant to say Young Griffo, who fought and drew with such notable fighters as Joe Gans, George Dixon and Ki8d Levigne.

Comment

How about Eddie Machen, Jose Medel and Mario Martinez? Just throwing a few names out there.

Medel fought everybody tough, despite his record, and was able to defeat the great Fighting Harada, Jesus Pimentel and Walter McGowan, among others. He also gave a young Eder Jofre one of the most difficult fights of his stellar career.

Martinez was one of the top 130 pound fighters of his day and he fought Chavez, Nelson and Fenech tough. I don't remember him winning a title, hopefully my memory is still accurate.

Machen, from all accounts, was an extremely skilled boxer and I know him to be a strong influence on James Toney. He beat some solid fighters like an older Joey Maxim, Doug Jones, Nino Valdez and Jerry Quarry.

Comment

Michael Watson as well. I remember a similar thread on NSB where I mentioned him. He truly was an excellent boxer. Tragic what happened to him.

Comment

Working...
          X