No announcement yet.

The 10 greatest fighters to NEVER win a title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 10 greatest fighters to NEVER win a title

Who are the top 10 fighters to NEVER win a title in boxing history?

Sam Langford is a given and at the top of the list. Charley Burley is also another given. Harry Wills and Jerry Quarry are up there as well to many people. Lew Tendler is largely forgotten today, but fought a who's who of great fighters during the 20's which was possibly the lightweight divisions greatest era. Young Stribling should probably make the list. With 128 ko's he is second in most ko's to only Archie Moore. He also fought some of the greatest fighters from his era at lightheavy and heavyweight.

Would any modern fighters make the list? Personaly I don't think so, but you may disagree. Take Oba Carr for example. He was an excellent fighter who just couldn't get over the hump, even with 3 or 4 titles out there. Then again he was surounded by Oscar, Tito and Ike.

So who else would make a list of the 10 best fighters to never win a title? Name them and discuss.

Holman Williams should probably make this list. anyone agree? Disagree?"

Comment

Kid Norfolk? He had a first round ko over Tiger Flowers for "colored" lightheavyweight title and is said bthat he was beating the great Harry Greb before winning by DQ. does he belong on this list?

Comment

top 10 never to win a title

1. Young Stribling
        2. Sam Langford
        3. Harry Wills
        4. Ike Ibeabuchi
        5. Howard Davis
        6. Bennie Briscoe
        7, Rubin Carter
        8. Jimmy Young
        9. James Scott
        10. Ejiro Murata

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
          1. Young Stribling
          2. Sam Langford
          3. Harry Wills
          4. Ike Ibeabuchi
          5. Howard Davis
          6. Bennie Briscoe
          7, Rubin Carter
          8. Jimmy Young
          9. James Scott
          10. Ejiro Murata

I would scratch Ibeabuch, Davis, Carter and probably Scott, though I think he could have been a force had he the right mindset. Arguments could be made for Jimmy young and possibly Benny Briscoe. Murata.....I have no idea about. Just looking at his record I would say no, but we all know records can be deceiving. Maybe one of you guys could fill me in about him.

Comment

1 - Sam Langford
            2 - Charley Burley
            3 - Packey McFarland
            4 - Holman Williams
            5 - Harry Wills
            6 - Lloyd Marshall
            7 - Jack Blackburn
            8 - Peter Jackson
            9 - Young Stribling
            10- Kid Norfolk

HM for Eddie Booker.

Bivins won "duration" versions of the title during WW2. If you include him I would add him at #3 with everyone below moving down a slot.
            Last edited by McGrain; 11-10-2008, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

I would scratch Ibeabuch, Davis, Carter and probably Scott, though I think he could have been a force had he the right mindset. Arguments could be made for Jimmy young and possibly Benny Briscoe. Murata.....I have no idea about. Just looking at his record I would say no, but we all know records can be deceiving. Maybe one of you guys could fill me in about him.
              I agree with you about James Scott, Jab. He would have been a force. He beat both Eddie Mustafa Muhammad and Yaqui Lopez convincingly. His problem was he got old and ran out of time.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                Who are the top 10 fighters to NEVER win a title in boxing history?

Sam Langford is a given and at the top of the list. Charley Burley is also another given. Harry Wills and Jerry Quarry are up there as well to many people. Lew Tendler is largely forgotten today, but fought a who's who of great fighters during the 20's which was possibly the lightweight divisions greatest era. Young Stribling should probably make the list. With 128 ko's he is second in most ko's to only Archie Moore. He also fought some of the greatest fighters from his era at lightheavy and heavyweight.

Would any modern fighters make the list? Personaly I don't think so, but you may disagree. Take Oba Carr for example. He was an excellent fighter who just couldn't get over the hump, even with 3 or 4 titles out there. Then again he was surounded by Oscar, Tito and Ike.

So who else would make a list of the 10 best fighters to never win a title? Name them and discuss.
                1. Sam Langford
                2. Charley Burley
                3. Harry Wills
                4. Lloyd Marshall
                5. Peter Jackson
                6. Holman Williams
                7. Young Stribling
                8. Earnie Shavers
                9. Kid Norfolk
                10. Young Firpo

Honorable mention: Herol Graham. The greatest British boxer never to win a World Title. Oh why oh why, did you stick your chin out to the mighty hand of Julian Jackson. Ringside officials were actually going to call the fight off at the end of round 4 due to the pasting he was giving Jackson. Such a shame.

Comment

Can't believe no one has mentioned Kirkland Laing, one of the most natural gifted fighters ever born, he really wasted his talent.

Comment

Lots of good names already mentioned, so I won't repeat those previously mentioned.
                    Tony Ayala would have for certain won a title had he not screwed his life up.

Going back a little, Tyrone Everette would have had agreat shot at a title.
                    Lemuel Steeples of the ill fated 1980 U.S. Amateur Boxing team that was killed in the plane crash in Poland had great potential.

James Shuler, even though he was KO'ed by Hearns still could have had a great career, had he not died in the motorcycle wreck.

Cleveland Williams.

Don't laugh too hard, but had Gerry Cooney been fighting at another time, say like when Frans Botha, Axel Schultz and Bruce Seldon were the title holders, he would have for sure won a belt. But top 10 best ever to never win one...no.

Andrew Golota had so much potential.
                    Last edited by Terry A; 11-10-2008, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X