Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training in the old days. With PICS (Jack Johnson, Benny Leonard, Battling Nelson etc

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
    "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink". I really cant sum it much plainer than ive stated above..i'll leave it at that.
    Too bad I aint no ****in horse

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
      Fighters today are trained for the amateurs and professional ranks contrary to "back then" when fighters were taught for self defense. Today, a lot of fighters are taught a points scoring commercial style as to days past where fighters pretty much tried to take each others heads off.
      Except for foreign fighters today. Guys like Kovalev, Golovkin, even Alvarez usually look to take out an opponent.

Comment

You guys don't seriously think that this is how they trained do you? A lot of these pictures are publicity shots, or pictures of these guys at work. Most of them time was still spent on the bags, in sparring, in the gym. Road work was crucial.

Chopping trees may have happened at times but it was far from regular and was as much a publicity stunt as Ali training underwater in the 1960s.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          So your avatar is of Battling Nelson? I only ask because all the pictures I've seen of him look very different.
          It is. Its from a newspaperclip long after his active career was over. Nelson was robbed by a gang of Chicago thugs. The story was that he beat them all up and chased them away. As you can see from the pic, he took some damage himself. So much so that his already tormented brain got completely wasted. He died a couple of years later as I recall it. In total poverty.

Anyway I love the picture. An old time prizefighter still posing as mean and tough is if he was prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Except for foreign fighters today. Guys like Kovalev, Golovkin, even Alvarez usually look to take out an opponent.
            Yeah there are always outliers but in general fighters today have a more conservative points scoring style.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              You guys don't seriously think that this is how they trained do you? A lot of these pictures are publicity shots, or pictures of these guys at work. Most of them time was still spent on the bags, in sparring, in the gym. Road work was crucial.

Chopping trees may have happened at times but it was far from regular and was as much a publicity stunt as Ali training underwater in the 1960s.
              I think they did things like chopping trees a lot just not as much as people would like you to think. I agree with the Ali thing he couldn't even swim lol

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                It is. Its from a newspaperclip long after his active career was over. Nelson was robbed by a gang of Chicago thugs. The story was that he beat them all up and chased them away. As you can see from the pic, he took some damage himself. So much so that his already tormented brain got completely wasted. He died a couple of years later as I recall it. In total poverty.

Anyway I love the picture. An old time prizefighter still posing as mean and tough is if he was prime.
                Cool, where did you find it? Online or from a newspaper you had?

Comment

Just to show you how important the evolution of boxing training is: Robinson only knew to drink a dumb beeve's blood, whereas Marquez brilliantly knew to drink his own piss. A fighter drinking his own piss in those days would have been rushed by six guys in white jackets anyway.

Comment

The first boxer to eat his own shhit as part of his training regimen will cause a big movement of fans.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                      Just to show you how important the evolution of boxing training is: Robinson only knew to drink a dumb beeve's blood, whereas Marquez brilliantly knew to drink his own piss. A fighter drinking his own piss in those days would have been rushed by six guys in white jackets anyway.
                      He should be these days too, as it's proven to have no nutritional value and is quite unsanitary.

Comment

Working...
                      X