Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marciano was overrated and not an ATG.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL. How convenient for you that he wasn't totally washed up until after the Rocky fights!! Dickhead them vids you posted of Walcott were slow!!! If you do know facts then you would know there are 3 types of speed in boxing:

1) Hand speed
    2)Foot speed
    3) Speed of reactions

Whereas he is good for his age but average in general in first dept, he has **** all in the next two. The man can't even side step and was a sitting duck. Would be annihilated by even the Klits!As would Rocky who blaokcs punches with his head. You can convince yourself all you want but no ATG struggled against a man who blocks punches with his head! He would be asitting duck today which is hardly the best of eras and I think might just about give Maccarinelli and them kinda bums a good fight! Marciano was overrated and you still have showed nothing to prove otherwise. Well I am glad I could educate you in regards to speed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fernando Torres View Post
      LOL. How convenient for you that he wasn't totally washed up until after the Rocky fights!! Dickhead them vids you posted of Walcott were slow!!! If you do know facts then you would know there are 3 types of speed in boxing:

1) Hand speed
      2)Foot speed
      3) Speed of reactions

Whereas he is good for his age but average in general in first dept, he has **** all in the next two. The man can't even side step and was a sitting duck. Would be annihilated by even the Klits!As would Rocky who blaokcs punches with his head. You can convince yourself all you want but no ATG struggled against a man who blocks punches with his head! He would be asitting duck today which is hardly the best of eras and I think might just about give Maccarinelli and them kinda bums a good fight! Marciano was overrated and you still have showed nothing to prove otherwise. Well I am glad I could educate you in regards to speed.
      It's actually Walcott's footwork and timing that are more remarkable than his handspeed.
      The way he could slip punches with ease and confuse his opponents with subtle footwork for 15 rounds is what made him the fighter he was.

Bernard Hopkins and James Toney both name Jersey Joe as one of their favorite fighters and say that watching tapes of Walcott box is what influenced their styles of fighting.

"I'm cut from the cloth of the old Jersey Joe Walcott, Ezzard Charles, Henry Armstrong tradition. Those are people I look up to."
      -Bernard Hopkins

"I developed my style by watching tapes of old fighters," Toney said. "I watched Ezzard Charles and Jersey Joe Walcott constantly, and Tommy Hearns and Marvin Hagler. I learned a lot from these guys, and then part of my style just came naturally."
      -James Toney

You can even see it when they fight in the ring, they use similar movement, feinting and countering as Walcott did over 50 years ago.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...rd#post3204153

I'm not one to praise Marciano, I've even been called a 'racist' by some for criticizing his record but this is simply a joke. You and the people you criticize are both the same way, ignorant.
      Last edited by TheGreatA; 07-29-2008, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Öyster View Post
        marciano is as overrated as it gets! he fought many old men and struggled with them! he even got a couple of robbery wins!!! i agree liston would have killed him but to be honest i would favor marciano over lennox!!! lennox is the other most overrated heavyweight!!

and david haye would get stopped in the opening seconds of round 1 by marciano!

clinton woods would lose by way of homicide to marciano

the 1 thing marciano did have was heart

and hopkins couldn't beat an egg

You're right about Lennox, as far as some people are so bold as to call him a top ten HW. He's certainly not close to that.

Marciano has to rank above Lennox

Comment

• Originally posted by kayjay View Post
          You're right about Lennox, as far as some people are so bold as to call him a top ten HW. He's certainly not close to that.

Im a bigger fan of Marciano than Lewis, but the only thing Rocky did better than Lennox was retire undefeated in my opinion. Lennox fought better comp imo and was physicaly more gifted. This doesn't detract from Marciano's legacy in my opinion, just an observation.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
            It's actually Walcott's footwork and timing that are more remarkable than his handspeed.
            The way he could slip punches with ease and confuse his opponents with subtle footwork for 15 rounds is what made him the fighter he was.

Bernard Hopkins and James Toney both name Jersey Joe as one of their favorite fighters and say that watching tapes of Walcott box is what influenced their styles of fighting.

-Bernard Hopkins

-James Toney

You can even see it when they fight in the ring, they use similar movement, feinting and countering as Walcott did over 50 years ago.

I'm not one to praise Marciano, I've even been called a 'racist' by some for criticizing his record but this is simply a joke. You and the people you criticize are both the same way, ignorant.

Say goodnight Fernando, TheMachine just put two in the back of your head.

Comment

• Originally posted by kayjay View Post

Hahaha, now this really is dumb. Lewis would crush him with weight alone. Marciano was way too easy to hit! Would be a sitting duck. No fan of Lewis but as the other reply points out, Marciano was too average to deal with him. Lewis would make top 10 even though he was chinny he was top of his era. I would also say he could give problems to a prime Mike too. Don;t think he would win though. Both would eat the little turd Rocky for breky.

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

It says Manchine, but comprehension was never your strong point now was it?
              He too has not given a single valid point why the Rock could beat two fo them guys on my list and make top 5! LOL. You have no reason because he cannot!
              Originally posted by TheManchine View Post

-Bernard Hopkins

-James Toney

They liked his style, I like his old school style too but that has nothing to do with CLASS. All three are legends in their own right but apart from Hopkins, can any of them stake a claim in top 10 of their wond division? LOL. Maybe he could do all these little skills and footwork, but so can British level fighters on their stage! The fact that someone else copied his style has nothing to do with his level of quality. In fact, I would say Hopkins is of higher quality and he would not be first one to learn of someone and become better.

Some of you have problems differentiating legacy with CLASS. I am not questioning Marciano's legacy to boxing and what he did at the time but his ability to beat the men from other era's. I also have to point out that his opponents from other eras had significantly better competition (eg.THE 70s) better technique and better physical attributes. Even some of his predecessors too!

Ali
              Louis
              Holmes
              Tyson
              Frazier
              Foreman
              Liston

I can't see him doing anything to anyone on that list. So how can he be top 5? LOL, people ca argue Walcotts case allday long but does anyone have an excuse for why the Rock blocked shots with his head and how this would help him V a prime 16-18 stone genuine heavy? ROFL.

Comment

• "I can't see him doing anything to anyone on that list. So how can he be top 5? LOL, people ca argue Walcotts case allday long but does anyone have an excuse for why the Rock blocked shots with his head and how this would help him V a prime 16-18 stone genuine heavy? ROFL."

The problem with that argument is that Marciano didn't block shots with his head. For an aggressive fighter he was deceptively elusive as LaStarza, Charles, Walcott, and others more credible than yourself have been quoted as saying.

Marciano's defense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b0yHvw-vW0

The "hitting the ropes" has to be a joke but the rest are fairly valid points. These are things you don't see from a guy who blocked every punch with his head.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

That's the line of the century LOL!

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by Fernando Torres View Post

It says Manchine, but comprehension was never your strong point now was it?
                    He too has not given a single valid point why the Rock could beat two fo them guys on my list and make top 5! LOL. You have no reason because he cannot!
                    Lol, and you cannot, in no uncertain terms prove that he couldn't. You saying that you can is what makes you a joke, while I remain objective.
                    By the way, before you go criticizing my "comprehension", maybe you ought to learn how to spell two letter words correctly. Lmao, FO! Of. Of Of . You got that yet, or should I spell it again for you. If you're still having problems, try sounding it out.

Comment

• If anything the Rock was underrated, he might not have had all the right skills, but he had heart and a hell of a right.

Rocky didn't know enough boxing to know what a feint was. He never tried to outguess you. He just kept trying to knock your brains out. If he missed you with one punch, he just threw another. I had the braggadocio and the skill and the guts, but that wasn't enough. Marciano beat me down.
                      -Archie Moore

Comment

Working...
                      X