This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    I'm seriously losing respect for you, especially seeing you continuously rip on my comments.

A Botha?? lol Botha is as slow as mud and Tyson is old, past his prime and has no boxing initiative whatsoever(yet he still knocked him out, so your point doesn't even count). "Hey Trevor Berbick beat up Ali haha!" that's how stupid in comparison that fight is and you know it. Yes Francios Botha has very similar footwork to Ali, very fast quick fighter..(sarcasm)

Douglas has absolutely nothing in common with Ali. Ali was foot work and hand speed, and doing little tricks like rope a dope to wear his opponents down. Buster Douglas continuously hammered the cocky Tyson by out brawling him, not dancing and jabbing. It's not like I haven't seen the fight.

A steady diet of no-hopers? Tyson fought some excellent competition, Spinks, Berbick, Holmes (Holmes was still game, he re-took some titles)ruddock, and Bruno to name a few...

If you think that Tyson was just randomly beat up by some bum like James Douglas then you are mistaken, you need to watch more Tyson documentaries -- he was just boozing it up, not training, and under the ever watchful eye of Don King...
    You need to watch that fight again! I have it if you need it :LOL: Spinks = washed up Light-Heavyweight; Berbick = worst fighter ever to hold the Heavyweight crown; Holmes = 38 years old, over the hill, hadn't fought in two years and STILL made Tyson look bad for three rounds; Bruno = never won a big fight. Who's kidding whom? The era of Tyson's prime was the Heavyweight division at it's ALL-TIME WORST. Excellent competition? Come on. I bet that titan Tony Tubbs was a HUGE threat to the belts (sarcasm).
    Oh, BTW, if you watch the Botha fight you'll see him for the most part fighting a SMART fight against Tyson, yes, boxing him. What a concept!

You know, you might want to lay off the Tyson brand KoolAid: It's seriously hampering your ability to think like a rational human being.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      You need to watch that fight again! I have it if you need it :LOL: Spinks = washed up Light-Heavyweight; Berbick = worst fighter ever to hold the Heavyweight crown; Holmes = 38 years old, over the hill, hadn't fought in two years and STILL made Tyson look bad for three rounds; Bruno = never won a big fight. Who's kidding whom? The era of Tyson's prime was the Heavyweight division at it's ALL-TIME WORST. Excellent competition? Come on. I bet that titan Tony Tubbs was a HUGE threat to the belts (sarcasm).
      Oh, BTW, if you watch the Botha fight you'll see him for the most part fighting a SMART fight against Tyson, yes, boxing him. What a concept!

You know, you might want to lay off the Tyson brand KoolAid: It's seriously hampering your ability to think like a rational human being.

Poet
      Lol im not going to argue with you if you honestly think the 80's had the worst fighters of its era, especally when I watch the 40's and 50's and try not to laugh.

My point is, you had to fight them yourself to know if they sucked or not. If Tyson was just an average fighter, then why did Cus D'Amato boast of him being far superior to Floyd Patterson..a tiny fighter from the 60's
      Last edited by them_apples; 09-03-2007, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        Lol im not going to argue with you if you honestly think the 80's had the worst fighters of its era, especally when I watch the 40's and 50's and try not to laugh.

My point is, you had to fight them yourself to know if they sucked or not. If Tyson was just an average fighter, then why did Cus D'Amato boast of him being far superior to Floyd Patterson..a tiny fighter from the 60's
        Cus D'Amato was more than a little bit biased in that regard. While Cus trained Floyd, Mike was like a son to the old man. You have to take into account the emotions of that old man when weighing his statements.

If you find the fighters from the 40s and 50s laughable I would suggest YOU find a way to transport back and get into the ring with them :LOL: You might see things a little differently then. Remember Mike Tyson himself had NOTHING but respect for those old time fighters and might pop you in the head for even suggesting they were laughable. More than any fighter over the last twenty years Mike Tyson was the most appreciative, most knowledgable of the old-timers. Tyson said it himself he LEARNED how to fight watching those guys.

Poet

Comment

Cus D'Amato was more than a little bit biased in that regard. While Cus trained Floyd, Mike was like a son to the old man. You have to take into account the emotions of that old man when weighing his statements.

If you find the fighters from the 40s and 50s laughable I would suggest YOU find a way to transport back and get into the ring with them :LOL: You might see things a little differently then. Remember Mike Tyson himself had NOTHING but respect for those old time fighters and might pop you in the head for even suggesting they were laughable. More than any fighter over the last twenty years Mike Tyson was the most appreciative, most knowledgable of the old-timers. Tyson said it himself he LEARNED how to fight watching those guys.

Poet
          Yea Tyson is a known boxing "history buff", and I can relate to that. I respect Mike, and enjoy his 80's fight's. However I don't rank him in the top 10 greatest Hw's of all time. "To be great you must beat great." I dont know who said that but it was by someone,...important =/ . This is a quote of mine "Mike Tyson knocked out good fighters. George Foreman knocked out legends!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lubutheimmortal View Post
            Yea Tyson is a known boxing "history buff", and I can relate to that. I respect Mike, and enjoy his 80's fight's. However I don't rank him in the top 10 greatest Hw's of all time. "To be great you must beat great." I dont know who said that but it was by someone,...important =/ . This is a quote of mine "Mike Tyson knocked out good fighters. George Foreman knocked out legends!"
            Yeah, and the funny thing is I have more respect for Tyson for his appreciation of the SPORT of boxing than most of his fawning nuthuggers :LOL: Given a chance to sit down with Mike Tyson over coffee his extreme fans would spend the whole time telling Mike how "bad" he is and such. Me? I'd turn to him and say: Mike, let's put some Dempsey in the DVD player and break down his fights. Which do you think Mike would enjoy more? I have a pretty good idea. While not a Tyson "fan" I'd love to have him as a poster on this forum so I could talk boxing history with him all day long.

Poet

Comment

Yeah, and the funny thing is I have more respect for Tyson for his appreciation of the SPORT of boxing than most of his fawning nuthuggers :LOL: Given a chance to sit down with Mike Tyson over coffee his extreme fans would spend the whole time telling Mike how "bad" he is and such. Me? I'd turn to him and say: Mike, let's put some Dempsey in the DVD player and break down his fights. Which do you think Mike would enjoy more? I have a pretty good idea. While not a Tyson "fan" I'd love to have him as a poster on this forum so I could talk boxing history with him all day long.

Poet
              Tyson posting would kick ass,........outside the "groupies" he'd have following. Yea I agree a coffee chat with him would be great. I'd love to hear his thoughts on Ali vs Louis, or Robinson vs Halger, and ect.

Comment

Originally posted by Lubutheimmortal View Post
                1.Joe Louis
                2.Muhammad Ali
                3.George Foreman
                4.Joe Frazier
                5.Gene Tunney
                6.Sonny Liston
                7.Rocky Marciano
                8.Jack Dempsey
                9.Jack Johnson
                10.Ezzard Charles
                WHAT U HAVE GENE TUNNEY @ # 5!?! .....or at least that is what I thought I was walking into heh.

Comment

Tyson fought four men for the right to rule the heavyweights; but he didn't stop there. He went on to beat the men who they defeated for their belts. After destroying the champs and former champs, Mike took on every single challenger, ducking no one. Tyson cleaned out a division that had been in a mess for ten years and did so in such an impressive manor that even after more than four years away from the ring, his reputation entranced the public into believing he could still do it. That's dominance.

Lewis only beat three men who had a claim to the title Shannon Briggs, Evander Holyfield, and Hasim Rahman ( who was only champ because he defeated Lewis). Still, Lewis defeated every man put in front of him but he did duck challengers Chris Byrd and John Ruiz, who just happen to be current title-holders, for fights that would get him more money.

In common opponents, Tyson beat Tony Tucker and Frank Bruno in a more impressive manor than Lewis did and both fighters were older when Lewis fought them. However, Lewis beat Ruddock in more convincing fashion that did Tyson. The same can be said of Lewis's win over Botha and Golota, though they fought the post prison Mike. Still, even the second Tyson victory over Bruno was more convincing than Lewis'.

I believe it's a fair statement to say that James Douglas, Oliver McCall, and Hasim Rahman are roughly the same class of fighter. All are good enough to be ranked. Lennox Lewis to two Buster Douglases whereas Tyson, while lost to one; and took a hell of a beating in doing so, while Lewis went down to one punch KOs. Even in his 2002 challenge of Lennox Lewis, Tyson took a frightful beating until his body could take no more. Which to me shows tyson did have heart. True, Lewis did avenge both of those defeats; but Tyson never got a chance to avenge his due to Douglas being kayoed in 3 by Holyfield…..which shows that Douglas would never again be able to attain the level of intensity he had in the Tyson fight. How would Tyson have done had he got a second shot at Douglas? I think its pretty obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
                    I think its pretty obvious.
                    ** Thing is, Tyson short circuits any sensibilities, either by his spectacular ringstyle, or by his thug lifestyle.

Historians already view Tyson favorably in spite of not having accomplished much since 1991. He guaranteed his HOF entry because of his first 5 yrs in the fight biz. He was pretty much done at a younger age than other great heavies were just getting their feet under them.

Comment

Douglas got beat in fact KOed by Holyfield in the 3rd. Tyson would of finished him in a re-match, he learnt from he losses look at his two fights with ruddock, he had the hunger again, he fought him twice he didnt have to but he wanted to prove he was the better fighter

Comment

Working...
                      X