X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referee comments post fight:
    George Siler, the referee

"Gans put up the weakest article of fight ever witnessed in Chicago. HIs every effort was weak and he acted as If he were not trying. His blocking, however was all right but his hitting, of which so much has been said, was not In evidence. I do not like to accuse a fighter of faking, but will say that Gans' work had all the earmarks of a fake.”

Comment

• Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
      Referee comments post fight:

"Gans put up the weakest article of fight ever witnessed in Chicago. HIs every effort was weak and he acted as If he were not trying. His blocking, however was all right but his hitting, of which so much has been said, was not In evidence. I do not like to accuse a fighter of faking, but will say that Gans' work had all the earmarks of a fake.”
      It's gotta be a load of BS!!! The ref was probably paid by Gans people to say that!! 😆

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        Let me get this straight.... you're asking me to rehash something that has been gone over and over for years and acknowledge and excepted by not only most fans, but historians of the sport and historians of society in general? How many times would you like to go over it and never open your eyes to it?

Let's instead go over the fighters you named and see what we can come up with.

McGovern
        McFarland
        Driscoll
        Graham
        Archer
        Fury
        Loughran

Off the top of my head I can dispute McGovern, Graham, Archer, Fury and Loughran as either getting their shots and winning a title (McGovern, Fury and Loughran), getting their shots and losing (Archer and Loughran) and getting their shots despite losing most of their biggest fights and losing said title shot (Graham).

I'm not trying to put any of those men down, but if would seriously like to compare resumes and circumstances with the fighters I named.... By all means, please do!
        I'm STILL waiting....

Comment

• McGovern - KO'd Frank Erne the Lightweight Champion. Erne refused to give him a rematch for the title.

McFarland - That bi'tch Nelson and Wolgast refused to fight him outright.

Driscoll - Atell tried to avoid Driscoll, but was finally forced to relent.... in a non-title affair. Attel's worst fears were confirmed. Of course, the little weasel, after losing that bout, made damn sure there was never a rematch for his title.

Graham - He owns Bassilio, Gavilan and Giardello's scalps. While beloved by the Irish, he did of course come from the same city that blessed the Boxing world with Rocky Graziano and Jake LaMotta. Watching Graham fight is like taking an IQ Test: if you scored it for him you're probably doing quite well in life, if you awarded the win to his opponent you should be castrated so as not to contaminate the gene pool.

Archer - probably even better than Graham. But I do believe his fights with Griffith were quite close. The real problem was that, again, people wanted fighters that showed up to spill their blood... oh, and his Manager (older brother) refused to buy his career. Yup. Take a second to let that one set in.

Fury - the "draw" with Wilder was the worst robbery in decades.

Loughran - needed to KO Carnera to win the Heavyweight championship.

These are especially well known facts. I'm stunned I needed to enumerate them. Every day this sport attracts more ignorant fans.

Each of these men were among the best in the sport, if not actually the very best. Certainly they were better than Langford, Gans and The Black Murderers' Row.
          Last edited by Rusty Tromboni; 09-03-2020, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
            Referee comments post fight:

And what about the performance looks weak to you?

He's clipped early, and never gets space or time to get back into the fight.

Was Siler a Boxer? How long had Boxing existed in Illinois? We see referees get things wrong all the time. In MMA it happens almost every show. The sport in young.

But how about a fight that recently played out not too dissimilar to McGovern-Gans? We never saw Wilder look as pathetic as he did against Fury. In fact, that was about the most lopsided beat down we've seen in a Heavyweight championship fight in years. And to think, Wilder damn near killed him in the first fight.

Was that a fix?

How about Nunes-Cyborg? Cormier-Miocic I? Fedor-Henderson? Weidman vs. Silva? Randleman vs. CroCop I? Serra vs. St Pierre I? Any McGregor fight?

All of those fights saw someone, often bigger, who was the better striker and apparently invincible get starched.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              The ref was probably paid by Gans people to say that!! 😆
              He wasn't!?

For a guy claiming conspiracy but failing to provide proof, it's su****ious that you suddenly dispel the notion of corruption.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks...

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                -

For the record Gans was swinging for the fences after the first McG KD took his legs away, desperation, not a dive.
                Can you show me when he did NOT fight like that?

I agree, Mac caught him early. But gans was too sloppy and open to ever be safe against Mc Govern.

Gans wasn't particularly hard to beat. McGovern, for a short time, was invincible.

Comment

• - -Here the boxrec account of the fight.

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/J...Terry_McGovern

No mention of any evidence of a fix, just rumors that caused Chicago to ban boxing for 26 years.

A compilation of the 1-2 rds currently on youtube. The boxrec links have been removed.

It don't show the 1st KD, but Joe had his legs together straight out as the 2rd shows, the body language of a fighter in traditional post KD leg paralysis. He has to roll over to crawl around on hands and knees to get a semblance of feeling back.

The bell saved him first rd, but McG a vicious swarmer won't let him breathe in the 2nd, and remember, this, there is no neutral corner rule then, so Joe could never get set.

McG was the preeminent slugger of his day, and this the Christmas season in his 17th fight that year was one fight to many. Had these fellas been modern heavies, U dears would've accused him of being a glass jawed Lurch.

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                    - -Here the boxrec account of the fight.

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/J...Terry_McGovern

No mention of any evidence of a fix, just rumors that caused Chicago to ban boxing for 26 years.

A compilation of the 1-2 rds currently on youtube. The boxrec links have been removed.

It don't show the 1st KD, but Joe had his legs together straight out as the 2rd shows, the body language of a fighter in traditional post KD leg paralysis. He has to roll over to crawl around on hands and knees to get a semblance of feeling back.

The bell saved him first rd, but McG a vicious swarmer won't let him breathe in the 2nd, and remember, this, there is no neutral corner rule then, so Joe could never get set.

McG was the preeminent slugger of his day, and this the Christmas season in his 17th fight that year was one fight to many. Had these fellas been modern heavies, U dears would've accused him of being a glass jawed Lurch.
                    Yup.

The ordeal is essentially an intelligence test. People who depend on hearsay and legend fail it miserably.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                      McGovern - KO'd Frank Erne the Lightweight Champion. Erne refused to give him a rematch for the title.

McFarland - That bi'tch Nelson and Wolgast refused to fight him outright.

Driscoll - Atell tried to avoid Driscoll, but was finally forced to relent.... in a non-title affair. Attel's worst fears were confirmed. Of course, the little weasel, after losing that bout, made damn sure there was never a rematch for his title.

Graham - He owns Bassilio, Gavilan and Giardello's scalps. While beloved by the Irish, he did of course come from the same city that blessed the Boxing world with Rocky Graziano and Jake LaMotta. Watching Graham fight is like taking an IQ Test: if you scored it for him you're probably doing quite well in life, if you awarded the win to his opponent you should be castrated so as not to contaminate the gene pool.

Archer - probably even better than Graham. But I do believe his fights with Griffith were quite close. The real problem was that, again, people wanted fighters that showed up to spill their blood... oh, and his Manager (older brother) refused to buy his career. Yup. Take a second to let that one set in.

Fury - the "draw" with Wilder was the worst robbery in decades.

Loughran - needed to KO Carnera to win the Heavyweight championship.

These are especially well known facts. I'm stunned I needed to enumerate them. Every day this sport attracts more ignorant fans.

Each of these men were among the best in the sport, if not actually the very best. Certainly they were better than Langford, Gans and The Black Murderers' Row.
                      Wolgast signed to fight Mcfarland only to have the fight pulled because of the laws at the time.

Driscoll got his chance to fight and won a close but unanimous decision. Kind of sound like Langford-Ketchel, yet you have no problem there. (Scratching head in bewilderment)

Graham got his shot and lost a close split decision.

Archer twice had the opportunity to fight for a world crown and lost.

Fury is the Lineal heavyweight champion and seen as the best in the division.

Loughran was a light heavyweight champion and was given the opportunity to fight for the heavyweight championship and was worn down and beaten by Carnerra. You show no proof and I can find NOTHING of Loughran having to win by knockout besides him saying it decades later. Unlike Gans-McGovern where the betting lines where changing at the last minute and the ref himself said Gans didn't give a true account of himself.

Lol, all these fighters were better than Gans, Langford and the black murderers row? Than why aren't any of them ranked higher than Joe or Sam? And if the fighters of the black murderers row we're at least afforded a shot they would be even more highly regarded.

These are all FACTS. You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
                      X