Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't done a list since my original. But let's throw a new one out there for the hell of it!!

1. Louis
    2. Ali
    3. Holmes
    4. Foreman
    5. Lewis
    6. Holyfield
    7. Tyson
    8. Wlad
    9. Liston
    10. Frazier
    11. Marciano
    12.Dempsey

Didn't put a whole lot of research into this since I'm firm on my knowledge, and just whipped this up on the fly. Any list is debatable. Have at it!!

Comment

• - -Any list of 10 or more becomes more and more subjective.

First 3-5 more informative as to any defendable boxing expertise.

Take an oats tonic today did ya?

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        I haven't done a list since my original. But let's throw a new one out there for the hell of it!!

1. Louis
        2. Ali
        3. Holmes
        4. Foreman
        5. Lewis
        6. Holyfield
        7. Tyson
        8. Wlad
        9. Liston
        10. Frazier
        11. Marciano
        12.Dempsey

Didn't put a whole lot of research into this since I'm firm on my knowledge, and just whipped this up on the fly. Any list is debatable. Have at it!!
        It's weird you rank Dempsey below dudes beaten in their prime. And without performances like his over Willard and The Bull

Comment

• In
          Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
          It's weird you rank Dempsey below dudes beaten in their prime. And without performances like his over Willard and The Bull
          I'm of the opinion that Dempsey avoided the two best fighters he could have faced in Wills and Greb. And while I love watching him fight, this has always hurt his greatness in my eyes.

Comment

In

I'm of the opinion that Dempsey avoided the two best fighters he could have faced in Wills and Greb. And while I love watching him fight, this has always hurt his greatness in my eyes.
            But we know Wills really wasn't very good.

As far as Greb, he wasn't a ranked Heavyweight (nor LHw, so far as I know). It really was a lose-lose for Dempsey. And i'm really not sure how strong Greb's claim ever was.

It's one of Boxing's greatest tragedies that they never met. But it shouldn't reflect on his standing too much. At least not at Heavyweight; where his colleagues suffered far worse (ex: Prime Louis losing to old Schmeling, and waiting until he was a bloated corpse to exact revenge).

Besides you rank Ali at the near top when he dodged Fraziers beat years.

And Foreman dodged Quarry.

Holmes spent half his title reign NOT fighting the best guy.

Lewis refused Klitchko a rematch.

See how much better they make Dempsey look?

And that's not mentioning their flaws.

Comment

• Make this list without PED cheaters, I wonder how it would look like.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dariusz View Post
                Make this list without PED cheaters, I wonder how it would look like.
                1) Fury
                2) Dempsey
                3) Louis
                4 ) Tunney
                5) who gives a fu.ck

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                  But we know Wills really wasn't very good.

As far as Greb, he wasn't a ranked Heavyweight (nor LHw, so far as I know). It really was a lose-lose for Dempsey. And i'm really not sure how strong Greb's claim ever was.

It's one of Boxing's greatest tragedies that they never met. But it shouldn't reflect on his standing too much. At least not at Heavyweight; where his colleagues suffered far worse (ex: Prime Louis losing to old Schmeling, and waiting until he was a bloated corpse to exact revenge).

Besides you rank Ali at the near top when he dodged Fraziers beat years.

And Foreman dodged Quarry.

Holmes spent half his title reign NOT fighting the best guy.

Lewis refused Klitchko a rematch.

See how much better they make Dempsey look?

And that's not mentioning their flaws.
                  Dempsey fought all of Grebs leftovers, but wouldn't fight Harry himself even though there was a huge demand for it. This has been outlined and covered plenty of times.And there is still the Duck of Wills to cover as well. As far as the rest of what you've posted....lol, c'mon!!

Comment

Dempsey fought all of Grebs leftovers, but wouldn't fight Harry himself even though there was a huge demand for it. This has been outlined and covered plenty of times.And there is still the Duck of Wills to cover as well. As far as the rest of what you've posted....lol, c'mon!!
                    I'd love you to substantiate any of those claims.

Was Harry Greb ever number one contender? Was he ever a ranked Heavyweight? What was his greatest official achievement at Light Heavyweight?

Everything I stated is factual and precise.

It's funny how you hold Dempsey over the skewers. But everyone else gets a pass for far more egregious offenses.

And again, none of that gets around that facts that:
                    1) Dempsey, unlike almost everyone you rank above him, was never beaten in his prime.
                    2) None of them can sight performances like those we have of Dempsey we have on film.

Which is why I'm wondering - in the least petty and condescending way possible - if your excuse that he didn't fight Wills and Greb isn't just the proverbial rug, underwhich you're sweeping those other two facts.
                    Last edited by Rusty Tromboni; 03-20-2020, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                      I'd love you to substantiate any of those claims.

Was Harry Greb ever number one contender? Was he ever a ranked Heavyweight? What was his greatest official achievement at Light Heavyweight?

Everything I stated is factual and precise.

It's funny how you hold Dempsey over the skewers. But everyone else gets a pass for far more egregious offenses.

And again, none of that gets around that facts that:
                      1) Dempsey, unlike almost everyone you rank above him, was never beaten in his prime.
                      2) None of them can sight performances like those we have of Dempsey we have on film.

Which is why I'm wondering - in the least petty and condescending way possible - if your excuse that he didn't fight Wills and Greb isn't just the proverbial rug, underwhich you're sweeping those other two facts.
                      First off, not losing in your prime isn't an automatic bid for greatness. How often was Dempsey actually fighting in his prime and (as I will get to) who was he beating?

Second, there have been many heavyweights that looked unstoppable early in their careers. Again, that is hardly proof he belongs as highly rated as you believe him to be.

But let's move on to the people Dempsey fought instead of Greb, that Greb had already beaten.

Levinski - Dempsey fought and beat him 11-6-18. Greb beat him 8-6-18

Billy Miske - Dempsey fought him 9-6-20. Greb beat him 3-31-19

Brennen - Dempsey fought him 12-14-20. Greb beat him 8-23-19

Gibbons - Dempsey fought him in 1923. Greb beat him in 1922

Tunney - Dempsey fought him 9-23-26. Greb beat him 5-23-22

Edit: And let's not forget about Willie Meehan
                      Last edited by JAB5239; 03-20-2020, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X