This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by capt_sam View Post
    For me, this is a list of top 10 HW by achievements, and NOT by who beats who rank.

Ali
    Louis
    Lewis
    Holmes
    Foreman
    Tyson
    Marciano
    Jack Johnson (historical value)
    Holyfield
    Vitali K (3 time champion)

This is my pure achievment in my view.

P4P rank coming up.
    I respect your list, but going by your own criteria, isn't Vitaly just a 3 time titlist? Sonny Liston achieved more by cleaning out the division and than winning the one and only title after being made to wait. I like Vitaly, but he really hasn't achieved that much when you put his accomplishments under a microscope.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      I respect your list, but going by your own criteria, isn't Vitaly just a 3 time titlist? Sonny Liston achieved more by cleaning out the division and than winning the one and only title after being made to wait. I like Vitaly, but he really hasn't achieved that much when you put his accomplishments under a microscope.
      I'm not sure if belts won against Herbie Hide, Sam Peter and Corrie Sanders should really count as much. So far he has never held a belt for more than a year, hopefully that will change now that he has come back again.

Had Vitali beaten Byrd, Lewis and Wladimir (if not for them being brothers) for those belts then sure, I'd rank him in my top 10.

Based on resume and achievements, I rate his brother Wladimir higher.
      Last edited by TheGreatA; 07-20-2009, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• I chopped and changed the no.10 stop many times before posting. I was going to opt for Liston, or even Patterson (first bloke to win it twice etc), but felt in being a 3 time champ is a great achievement.

My who beats who list, on the assumption that the top guys entered a league-each fighting the other- will be published later.

Comment

• Originally posted by capt_sam View Post
          I chopped and changed the no.10 stop many times before posting. I was going to opt for Liston, or even Patterson (first bloke to win it twice etc), but felt in being a 3 time champ is a great achievement.

My who beats who list, on the assumption that the top guys entered a league-each fighting the other- will be published later.
          While coming back after a 4 year layoff, at the age of 37, was a huge accomplishment, as well being a 3 time titlist as you mention, I have Wladimir ahead of him based on competition and accomplishments. Neither cracking the top 10 ATG HW list just yet. But it's all subjective.

Comment

• Tyson shouldn't be anywhere near the top10...well not IN it anyway. He was tough, but he didn't really have anyone GREAT to go up against. When he got the greats he lost.

Joe Louis?! He should ATLEAST be top3. If it was up to me, nr. 1

Comment

• Originally posted by d0n View Post
              Tyson shouldn't be anywhere near the top10...well not IN it anyway. He was tough, but he didn't really have anyone GREAT to go up against. When he got the greats he lost.

Tyson is remembered by most for losing to Holyfield and Lewis.

Anyone with an ounce of Boxing "knowledge" will point out one thing:

Tyson was 41-1 Before Prison
              Tyson was 9-4 Post Prison.

I can understand why some may say "Tyson should not be in Top 10", but you can't argue if he is Top 10
              End of discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by d0n View Post
                Tyson shouldn't be anywhere near the top10...well not IN it anyway. He was tough, but he didn't really have anyone GREAT to go up against. When he got the greats he lost.

Holmes doesn't belong up there either then with this logic. He lost to his best oposition.

Comment

• I think that the top 10 heavyweights from best to worse are:
                  1. Joe Louis
                  2. Rocky Marciano
                  3. Muhammad Ali
                  4. Jack Dempsey
                  5. Sonny Liston
                  6. George Foreman
                  7. Joe Frazier
                  8. Mike Tyson
                  9. Jack Johnson
                  10. Floyd Patterson
                  it's just my opinion
                  you all dont have to agree with me
                  Peace

Comment

• nice ranking

Comment

• Rocky Marciano is the only Heavyweight Champion of the World in history never to have been beaten.

I know back in the fifties boxing was different but, if Louis makes it into the top ten, I think Marciano should be there too.

Comment

Working...
                      X