This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Obama View Post
    You're clearly a hater if you bring up fights where Johnson was green and far from the fighter he became in his prime. And he beat Hart, consider it the original De La Hoya vs Trinidad.

Johnson fought whoever the White establishment put in front of him to fight. But I agree he got his best wins from winning the title and before.

This group of guys:

Frank Childs (x2)
    George Gardner
    Denver Ed Martin (x2)
    Sam McVea (x3)
    Sandy Ferguson (x3)
    Black Bill (x4)
    Jim Jeffords (x2)
    Jack Munroe
    Morris Harris
    Joe Jeannette (x3)
    Sam Langford
    Bob Fitzsimmons
    Tommy Burns

Clearly tops this group of guys:

Tony Ross
    Al Kaufman
    James J. Jeffries
    Frank Moran

Wills is the only guy he didn't fight at some point that you mentioned, but it's because Wills is simply from a different era. Had they not falsely convicted Johnson of a federal crime and not exiled him from boxing on the main stage anymore, it may have went down. But it would have been a prime Wills against a post prime Johnson.

you call everyone a hater who doesnt agree with you. i'm starting to see some racial nuthugging coming from you as well.

All will be golden when I steal your pts come Pacquiao vs Mayweather.

Comment

• Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      you call everyone a hater who doesnt agree with you. i'm starting to see some racial nuthugging coming from you as well.

All will be golden when I steal your pts come Pacquiao vs Mayweather.
      Racial nuthugging?

Why because Jack Johnson > Jim Jeffries and Floyd Mayweather > Manny Pacquiao? Things that most people would agree with, historians included? Yea real evidence right there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obama View Post
        Racial nuthugging?

Why because Jack Johnson > Jim Jeffries and Floyd Mayweather > Manny Pacquiao? Things that most people would agree with, historians included? Yea real evidence right there.
        lol no you are wrong, a lot more picked Pacquiao to defeat Mayweather than vice versa.

you gotta love self proclaimed ownage, aka internet warriors backing them selves up.
        Last edited by them_apples; 06-12-2009, 10:22 PM.

Comment

lol no you are wrong, a lot more picked Pacquiao to defeat Mayweather than vice versa.

you gotta love self proclaimed ownage, aka internet warriors backing them selves up.
          First off, not enough people have picked the winner of a theoretical future fight to take any kind of meaningful data. When the fight actually gets signed you may see more of that.

Second off, the statement doesn't say who beats who, it says who's better than who.

Comment

A lot of people would like Pac to win because of his exciting style, the fact that he has generally tried to make fights with tough opposition that could test him, and his humility outside the ring, all of which contrast favourably with Floyd. But if you think a majority of boxing experts would expect Pac to win, then you must be living on a different planet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Rado View Post
              A lot of people would like Pac to win because of his exciting style, the fact that he has generally tried to make fights with tough opposition that could test him, and his humility outside the ring, all of which contrast favourably with Floyd. But if you think a majority of boxing experts would expect Pac to win, then you must be living on a different planet.
              there was a poll, so I must be living on another planet...

Oh well, I'll be right given Mayweather beats Marquez. Pacquiao will pound the living hell out of Mayweather.

Comment

there was a poll, so I must be living on another planet...
                Of respected boxing experts? Or just of forum members? If the latter it's completely meaningless.

Comment

Of respected boxing experts? Or just of forum members? If the latter it's completely meaningless.
                  respected boxing experts. this forum is full of fools why would I even take that into consideration.

Bert sugar is one dude, but there was a list..if anyone can find it green k.

Ring Magazine also has Pacquiao as this decades greatest btw

Comment

respected boxing experts. this forum is full of fools why would I even take that into consideration.
                    Well I'd like to see a link.

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                    Ring Magazine also has Pacquiao as this decades greatest btw
                    Based on résumé over that period, that's arguably fair enough. Doesn't necessarily mean they think he'd win in a head to head though.

Comment

Well I'd like to see a link.

Based on résumé over that period, that's arguably fair enough. Doesn't necessarily mean they think he'd win in a head to head though.
                      oh but he will win, care to bet come fight time?

If he even beats Marquez that is....

He's not necessarily a fraud, more so he just has a really well planned career. He obviously didn't want Pacquiao as his first fight back, and he's only fighting Marquez because he thinks he's to big. I'm not so sure he would have fought Marquez at 130, it could have gone either way, most likely a close fight with Mayweather getting a debatable decision. At 144 however, Mayweather is coming off of a layoff and Marquez looks for a KO in all his fights now. Given the weight doesn't effect him (he needs to put on at least 5 lbs) This is a brutally tough fight for getting 14 months off (more come fight time). It's sort of weird seeing Mayweather fight a guy like Marquez since a lot of his opponent's were rather one dimensional (I know it sounds like a flame, but it's really what i'm seeing). They were good opponent's but easy if you know what you are doing.

I am picking Marquez to win, I'm not 100% certain he will, but it is my pick. I will be surprised if Mayweather get's a convincing decision. If it's a robbery i'll just call BS. If it's a KO, then it's definitely the weight imbalance. Marquez fought much bigger punchers at 130 so a KO from Mayweather should be out of the question if the weight is not in effect.

Comment

Working...
                      X