This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Come on Jim, its all opinions. No need to red k anybody on this board. Save it for NSB or Thunderdome, ok?
    That guy's a joke, seriously, but I get your point. Anyway, my new list, still a work in progress.

1. Ali
    2. Louis
    3. Lewis
    4. Foreman
    5. Holmes
    6. Holyfield
    7. Marciano
    8. Frazier
    9. Johnson
    10.Tyson

As for that other guy, to the iggy list with the rest of the tards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
      That guy's a joke, seriously, but I get your point. Anyway, my new list, still a work in progress.

1. Ali
      2. Louis
      3. Lewis
      4. Foreman
      5. Holmes
      6. Holyfield
      7. Marciano
      8. Frazier
      9. Johnson
      10.Tyson

As for that other guy, to the iggy list with the rest of the tards.
      you can tell on this site who has real problems in their life. its as clear as day that you don't like yourself and are on the verge of committing suicide. you are getting **** over a list. very sad. I pitty you.

Comment

• [QUOTE]
        Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post

1. Ali
        2. Louis
        3. Lewis
        4. Foreman
        5. Holmes
        6. Holyfield
        7. Marciano
        8. Frazier
        9. Johnson
        10.Tyson
        I appreciate it Jim. Just out of curiosity, does Jim Jeffries make your top 15? And if so, where and why?

Comment

• [QUOTE=JAB5239;5036461]

I appreciate it Jim. Just out of curiosity, does Jim Jeffries make your top 15? And if so, where and why?
          I haven't really worked it out that far, but top 15 no. Probably have him somewhere between 20 and 25 due to the shortness of his career. 7-1-1 against HOFers, even though yes Jackson was pretty well done at that point, isn't too bad, and I don't hold the loss after 6 years without a fight against him. Maybe between 15 and 20, not sure.

Comment

Right now I have Jeffries ranked at #15. At the moment. That could change depending on my mood.

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
              Probably have him somewhere between 20 and 25 due to the shortness of his career.
              "From all accounts J. J. Jeffries, the heavyweight pugilist, who is at present looking after the interests of Billy Gallagher at his training quarters, Six-mile House, is a first-class boxer. Gallagher says he would back him (Jeffries) for all the money he ever possessed against any man in America, barring Jim Corbett, a man who Gallagher thinks is the wonder of the age, or any age for that matter.

Jeffries is 19 years old, stands 6 feet 2 1/2 inches without the aid of stockings and wears arms that in length and strength compare favorably with the great John L. Sullivan when the latter was in his prime. Jeffries has fought and whipped twenty men during his short career as a prizefighter, and is now looking for big game."

- San Francisco Call, May 22nd, 1896

Note the date of the article written and notice that the bolded comment is made before what modern sites list as the date of his first fight, whether it be them listing the Long or Griffin, both coming later on (post article) in 1896 according to records.

Could it be possible that Jeffries, like many, many other fighters from his time and beyond, may have had a certain number of other fights during his ring career that haven't found their way onto a modern record keeping website? Yeah, I'd say it's possible and maybe even likely.

Comment

• Any thoughts on the boxrec list I posted a few pages back anyone.

Comment

He had 20 straight title defenses and was clearly the best and most consistent fighter from 78 till 85. Is the only elite heavyweight to approach Marciano's 49-0 record. His wins over Norton and Shavers showed trendous heart and his skill was undeniable. If it wasn't for his bland and sometimes distastful personality and the fact he came after Ali, it is my opinion he would be more highly regarded on a personal level today. There were a few fighters I thought he should have fought (there are for almost any champion) and two who deserved rematches (Williams and Witherspoon), but overall he was dominant.

Now.....turn about is fair play. You don't even have Holmes in your top 10 and I think that is a crime. Why?

And how is it you rate Dempsey, Frazier and Tyson ahead of him?
                  mike tyson was awesome and so was frazier, tyson had speed and power and a good defence, and he beat holmes but that was when he was older. frazier knocked out ali and apparently some people had a heart attack when they saw ali loose, but that what i read somewhere doubt its true, and for dempsey im not sure why i put him so high i think tunney was better. but after your information i might say that holmes should be higher

Comment

• Originally posted by LDB15 View Post
                    mike tyson was awesome and so was frazier, tyson had speed and power and a good defence, and he beat holmes but that was when he was older. frazier knocked out ali and apparently some people had a heart attack when they saw ali loose, but that what i read somewhere doubt its true, and for dempsey im not sure why i put him so high i think tunney was better. but after your information i might say that holmes should be higher
                    Holmes is definately one of the most underated champions ever.

Good speed, underated power, ring generalship, heart, stamina and the best recuperative powers of any heavyweight ever.

Watch the last few rounds against Norton. Possibly the greatest 15th round in heavyweight history.

Comment

• Originally posted by |-|urricane View Post
                      Any thoughts on the boxrec list I posted a few pages back anyone.
                      Im not big on anything at boxrec. I use that site often, but only for cursory information. I got much respect for you my friend, but when I saw Floyd Patterson at 6, I stopped reading.

Comment

Working...
                      X