This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jollystomper View Post
    ok ,i take your point & ur entitled to your opinion but imo dempsey & marciano are overated and holyfield was clearly beaten twice by lewis!(although 1 was scored a draw!!!??) although you could argue that holyfield wasn`t in his prime? but tbh this excuse is far to commonly used in boxing!
    i admit that lewis never got the chance to prove hiself against bowe,holyfield & tyson in their "prime" that was purely down to bowe,king & tyson! lewis ducked nobody!

also holyfield was much more inconsistant than lewis!

Holy in his Prime would beat Lewis. handily.

Comment

• Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      Holy in his Prime would beat Lewis. handily.
      What are you basing that on? Holyfield was always very hot and cold at heavyweight. Bowe beat him twice, Moorer beat him. He was unconvincing against Foreman, Holmes and Cooper, before finally losing to Lewis, who was also past his physical prime by that point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
        What are you basing that on? Holyfield was always very hot and cold at heavyweight. Bowe beat him twice, Moorer beat him. He was unconvincing against Foreman, Holmes and Cooper, before finally losing to Lewis, who was also past his physical prime by that point.
        you can say the same about Lewis with his up's and downs.

Getting knocked out cold at his peak doesn't help, most of his opponent's were past it or getting there. Really, he only wiped out his division because it was the dawn of what we have in todays division, which is utter garbage. So really, you have a decent heavyweight in Lewis, taking on the bums of today and owning them.

Lewis has a wide resume, but it's not very deep, if you know what I mean.

keep in mind, styles do make fights, there are a lot of opponents i think Lewis would beat quite easily, yet Holyfield might go the full 12.

I have him on my ATG list, I'm not that delusional.
        Last edited by them_apples; 02-21-2009, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          Well, my whole point behind that post was to show how that sort of thing can be turned around. I hate it when people rip the old-timers and I'm not so fond of the ones who say all modern fighters are **** either.

I think you're making a mistake with Johnson though. He had skills that maybe a casual observer doesn't see. It's similar to the way some characterize Roberto Duran as a low-skill slugger: They don't see the little things he did such as block punches with his should or manuevered an opponent inside. Small things that aren't often SEEN at first glance but win you fights.

Guys like Jeffries and Sullivan may not have an extensive skill set but were incredibly strong. In that, they aren't any different than MANY Heavyweights I've seen ranked as top contenders the past 25 years some of whom have picked up alphabet belts.

Poet
          yeah fair enough man

i can see the point you're making with johnson, because yeah that really pisses me off when people call duran a brainless slugger, i can see where you are coming from

i just think a lot of really old timers (like before the 30's) are rated way too high

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
            1. Muhammad Ali
            2. Joe Louis
            3. Jack Johnson
            4. Jack Dempsey
            5. Larry Holmes
            6. Sonny Liston
            7. Evander Holyfield
            8. George Foreman
            9. Rocky Marciano
            10. Joe Frazier
            11. Harry Wills
            12. Joe Walcott

Poet
            Poet, this isnt your most recent list is it? i swear i remember a list you posted recently looking different to this one!?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
              Poet, this isnt your most recent list is it? i swear i remember a list you posted recently looking different to this one!?
              That's an older one. I'm always shuffling my bottom five.

Poet

Comment

• 1.Dempsey
                2.Marciano
                3.Ali
                4.Tyson
                5.Lewis
                6.Foreman
                7.Jeffries
                8.Fraizer
                9.Tunney
                10.Holyfield

Comment

• Originally posted by marciano207 View Post
                  1.Dempsey
                  2.Marciano
                  3.Ali
                  4.Tyson
                  5.Lewis
                  6.Foreman
                  7.Jeffries
                  8.Fraizer
                  9.Tunney
                  10.Holyfield
                  No Joe Louis? More than 11 years as champ and 25 defenses. Sacrilege I say, sacrilege!

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    No Joe Louis? More than 11 years as champ and 25 defenses. Sacrilege I say, sacrilege!
                    he's got rocky as no.2 so what would you expect

anyways, time for a list update

Ali Had ups and downs, but has the best resume for a heavyweight, having beat incredible competition even when the odds were against him.
                    Louis 25 defenses
                    Holyfield fought amazing competition, never ducked anyone. 4 time hw champ, should be 5.
                    Holmes fought in 2 eras, did good in both, never had a career defining win
                    Foreman Destroyed top contenders and was competative in the 90's
                    Lewis - Beat a lot of good names, never had a career defining win, beat todays best heavyweight on his way out
                    Tyson - youngest HWC ever, unified
                    Frazier - beat Ali, and was quite relentless in his prime
                    Tunney - very modern boxer for his time
                    Marciano - never lost
                    Bernard Hopkins put on 20 lbs and....jk
                    Last edited by them_apples; 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• i agree the BEST
                      1> Muhammad Ali
                      2> Larry Holmes
                      3> Lennox Lewis
                      4> Joe Louis
                      5> Evander Holyfield
                      6> Jack Johnson
                      7> George Foreman
                      8> Rocky Marciano
                      9> Joe Frazier
                      10>Mike Tyson

Last edited by nicu_pascan; 03-01-2009, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X