Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider Joe Gans as the Greatest Lightweight of All Times???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brownpimp88 View Post
    No, i don't consider him the best. Just because he was the first good lightweight and all of the opponents from his era get overrated by writers, it does not make him the best. Roberto Duran and Pernell Whitaker are both superior.

- -Talk of damning by association!

Pea ain't part of the conversation. At no time did I ever say, "Wow, this guy is an all time great."

I was too busy scrambling for a gas mask.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
      - -Talk of damning by association!

Pea ain't part of the conversation. At no time did I ever say, "Wow, this guy is an all time great."

I was too busy scrambling for a gas mask.
      That just means you don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

GANS WASN'T THE BEST, BUT WASN'T THE WORST.

Whatever!

Comment

Historically Gans and Benny Leonard were considered top two ATG at lightweight. This was true for many many decades. The past several decades Duran is considered along with these two.

So Gans has been and is very highly considered all time.

Sam Langford, another ATG fighter, beat Gans in 1903. Sam considered Gans the greatest fighter who ever lived.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
            Historically Gans and Benny Leonard were considered top two ATG at lightweight. This was true for many many decades. The past several decades Duran is considered along with these two.

So Gans has been and is very highly considered all time.
            Why not present sources supporting that.

Watching Gans on film and consulting his record, he clearly was not the best.

In fact, a Featherweight was better than him.

Sam Langford, another ATG fighter, beat Gans in 1903. Sam considered Gans the greatest fighter who ever lived.
            Is that why he arrived overweight for their fight (when he knew Gans would also come in well below the agreed weight limit)? Is that why he took a fight with a guy the day after fighting Dave Holly in Philadelphia?

I would love to see where Langford called Gans the GOAT. But just because he said it doesn't mean it's true, it doesn't even mean he believed it. Another Black fighter, whom he beat in his youth - sounds like the perfect pick if you're looking to make a humble brag.

Comment

Gans might have been tops....he had everything...punch to ko a horse, footwork, defense, counterpunching, infighting, tremendous endurance....what more could anyone nwant

Comment

“Joe Gans was the greatest fighter of all time.” -Sam Langford in 1935.

“The greatest fighter of all time was Joe Gans.” –Abe Attell in 1949.

“There was never anybody like Gans and there probably never will be.” -Harry Lenny, boxer and trainer.

“Gans is the cleverest fighter, big or little that ever put on the gloves.” – Bob Fitzsimmons

“Joe Gans was the best fighter I ever saw” –Tad Dorgan, sportswriter.

“As a counterer he was second to none”- Billy Duffy, veteran boxing observer in 1926.

“There never was a fighter who could block with such skill and precision as Gans.” –Ben Benjamin, sportswriter.

“The amazing and wonderful and immortal Joe Gans! What a fighter!” -Jim Coffroth, boxing promoter in 1943.

“A marvel of speed and science.” – Sep 4, 1906 SF Chronicle.

Comment

“Joe Gans was the greatest fighter of all time.” -Sam Langford in 1935.

“The greatest fighter of all time was Joe Gans.” –Abe Attell in 1949.

“There was never anybody like Gans and there probably never will be.” -Harry Lenny, boxer and trainer.

“Gans is the cleverest fighter, big or little that ever put on the gloves.” – Bob Fitzsimmons

“Joe Gans was the best fighter I ever saw” –Tad Dorgan, sportswriter.

“As a counterer he was second to none”- Billy Duffy, veteran boxing observer in 1926.

“There never was a fighter who could block with such skill and precision as Gans.” –Ben Benjamin, sportswriter.

“The amazing and wonderful and immortal Joe Gans! What a fighter!” -Jim Coffroth, boxing promoter in 1943.

“A marvel of speed and science.” – Sep 4, 1906 SF Chronicle.
                  - -Ace tribute!

Comment

Nice video with slow motion replays illustrating Gans skills.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=DXjqO_lo4ak

Comment

Technical article regarding Gans:

https://tss.ib.tv/boxing/featured-bo...on-of-joe-gans

Comment

Working...
                      X