Dillian Whyte wants a rematch with Tyson Fury.
Though nothing about the definitive outcome of their fight Saturday night seems to warrant a second heavyweight title bout between them, Whyte feels it was competitive enough before Fury knocked him out in the sixth round to get a second shot at Fury’s WBC belt.
“He said he retired,” Whyte told Sky Sports during an interview that aired Monday. “I hope he doesn’t retire because I want another go.”
Whyte was paid a career-high $7,384,500 for his mandated shot at Fury before a record-setting, capacity crowd of 94,000 at Wembley Stadium in London. Fury was ahead on all three scorecards – 50-45, 49-46 and 48-47 – when Fury’s right uppercut badly hurt Whyte, who went down from Fury’s punishing punch and a subsequent shove that Whyte contends should’ve resulted in referee Mark Lyson giving him more time to recover once he reached his feet.
Lyson instead stopped the action with one second remaining in the sixth round because Whyte stumbled once he reached his feet and Lyson instructed Whyte to move toward him.
The undefeated Fury praised Whyte (28-3, 19 KOs) for his toughness after the Manchester native improved to 32-0-1 and recorded his 23rd knockout.
“You know, he said, obviously, ‘You’re a good fighter, a true warrior. You’re gonna be a world champion one day. Blah, blah, blah,’ ” Whyte recalled. “But, you know, I was just like, ‘Yeah, cool.’ You know, I’m not a sore loser. You win some, you lose some. This is life. This is boxing. You know what I mean? At the end of the day, you know, it was a good fight, obviously. They underestimated me. They said I was this and I was that. But I showed up and I fought. You know, and I gave him just as much problems as he gave me. It wasn’t like it was a one-way street.”
Though a second Fury fight appears highly unlikely, the 34-year-old Whyte won’t retire after the British contender suffered his second knockout defeat in his past three fights and his third loss overall inside the distance during a professional career that has spanned almost 12 years.
“I’m not one of those guys that wanna go out on a loss or on a bad performance,” Whyte said. “Listen, I’m still young enough. I’ve still got a lot left in me. Still feel strong. I’m still getting better. I fought the best in the world right at close. Wasn’t out-classed or out-boxed. He’s a bit taller than me and the range is a bit tricky, obviously, because of his style. It’s hard to get guys to prepare for him because he’s awkward and the way he fights and stuff. But I went at close. I landed my fair [share] a little bit and he landed his. So, you know, I didn’t get beat up for four, five rounds and got completely out-classed. Then it had been, ‘Yeah, time to call it a day.’ But I wasn’t out-classed.
“And obviously now, it’s not a long, hard road back because I showed the level I am and obviously we sold 90-something thousand tickets together. It’s not him alone. It’s me alone. So, and I had a value going in before anyway. You know, obviously, I’ve had – those were pay-per-view fights. They all sell out. They all been good fights. And I’m still there. I’m still good enough, so one fight and I’m back.”
Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.