SAN FRANCISCO – Amari Jones proved to Quilisto Madera what he had told him before they fought Saturday at Chase Center, that his precision, power and speed were too much for him.

The 21-year-old middleweight prospect battered Madera for four-plus rounds and entertained fans from his hometown before referee Thomas Taylor decided Madera had taken too many punches on the non-pay-per-view portion of the Regis Prograis-Devin Haney undercard. Taylor moved between them and halted their scheduled eight-rounder at 1:44 of the fifth round.

Jones (11-0, 10 KOs), an Oakland native, is promoted by Haney’s company and trained by Devin’s father/trainer, Bill Haney. Madera (14-5, 9 KOs), of Stockton, California, lost by knockout or technical knockout for the second time in nine years as a pro.

Prior to the stoppage, a left hook by Jones made Madera hold him several seconds before the midway mark of the fifth round. Madera held Jones briefly, but once he was free a relentless Jones unleashed flush punches to Madera’s head that made Taylor step between them to stop their bout.

Jones hammered Madera with left hooks, right uppercuts and overhand rights during the first half of the fourth round. Madera threw punches later in the fourth round, but Jones unloaded a barrage of power punches on his fading opponent toward the end of it.

A left-right combination by Jones landed when Madera was backed into the ropes with about 25 seconds to go in the third round. Jones’ left hook connected barely 40 seconds into the third round.

Jones’ right hand got Madera’s attention about 1:15 into the second round. Madera tied up Jones several times during the second round, but he didn’t land many effective punches.

A left hook by Jones moved Madera backward with about 15 seconds to go in the first round. Jones landed multiple right hands before he connected that left hook and clearly controlled the opening three minutes of action.

Taylor warned Madera for hitting Jones on the back of his head less than 30 seconds into the opening round.

In the previous fight Saturday, Beatriz Ferreira ferociously demonstrated why she is one of the most touted prospects in women’s boxing.

The Olympic silver medalist picked apart Destiny Jones with flush left hooks and right hands throughout their bout, which Ferreira won by technical knockout. The undefeated Ferreira’s activity and accuracy with both hands enabled her to dominate a game but overmatched Jones until a California State Athletic Commission doctor stopped their junior lightweight bout five seconds into the eighth and final round.

A left hand by Brazil’s Ferreira finally knocked Jones to the canvas late in the seventh round. Jones beat the count and made it to the end of that round, but she had taken a lot of punishment to that point in their fight.

The only difficulty Ferreira encountered was when she sustained a cut on her left eyelid during the second half of the fourth round. An accidental elbow by Jones appeared to cause that laceration.

Ferreira improved to 4-0 and recorded her second knockout. Jones (5-2, 2 KOs), of Austin, Texas, lost inside the distance for the first time in seven professional fights.

In the first fight on the undercard, junior lightweight prospect Shamar Canal stayed unbeaten by shutting out Mexican veteran Jose Antonio Meza in a six-rounder.

Canal, who is promoted by Haney’s company, defeated Meza by the same score, 60-53, on each card. The 20-year-old Canal (7-0, 4 KOs), of Albany, New York, landed a right hand that sent Meza (8-9, 2 KOs) to his knees with 25 seconds to go in the sixth round.

Meza beat the count and fended off Canal for the remaining 10 seconds to make it to the final bell.

Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.