By Miguel Rivera
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya is planning to keep Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs) very busy in coming months.
To avoid the scenario of having Canelo fight a single time in 2018, De La Hoya is planning to stage two events with the Mexican star.
He was scheduled to face IBF, IBO, WBA, WBC middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin on May 5th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
But the fight was Golovkin fell apart, after Canelo tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol back in February.
Last month, the Nevada State Athletic Commission gave Canelo a retroactive suspension of six months.
Canelo plans to fight on September 15th as part of Mexican Independence Day weekend - and Golovkin is the target opponent.
They fought last September to a controversial twelve round split draw.
Golovkin was back in the ring on Saturday night, and blew away Vanes Martirosyan in two rounds at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
In a recent interview, Golovkin said the probability of a Canelo rematch was "10%."
De La Hoya believes that Golovkin is making all of these negative comments, because he remembers what happened in the last three rounds.
"(Golovkin) knows about the rematch, regardless of when, because Canelo is going to fight in September, and he's going to fight in December again," De La Hoya said to ESPN Deportes.
"We want to keep him very active, Canelo wants to fight as much as possible, whether or not the fight with GGG happens or not, [Canelo] will be there. The Canelo train is moving forward.
"The last [drug] test that Canelo had was the hair [and it was negative for clenbuterol], so it's ridiculous with all of the negative things that Golovkin has said about Canelo. That is why I strongly believe that the last three rounds of the fight against Canelo have been on the mind of GGG... the power he felt against Canelo, and the fact that he could not hurt him or land on him."