Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya has explained that outside parties are attempting to create friction with some of his biggest stars, like Mexican superstar Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and rising prospect Ryan Garcia.
In recent months, both Canelo and Garcia have taken to social media to complain about matters in their business relationship with Golden Boy.
“With social media you tend to react in a certain way and you can’t retract it obviously,” De La Hoya said to The Los Angeles Times. “There’s a lot of voices in his ear. Being Canelo’s promoter, I have a huge target on my back. I know that. People were trying to sabotage our dealings and our relationship but there were no surprises. We’re still Golden Boy and at the end of the day we get what we want.”
De La Hoya says his relationship with Canelo is back on the right course, as they finalized a recent deal to see the Mexican star face WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev for November 2.
Last year, Canelo and Golden Boy finalized an 11 fight, five year deal with streaming service DAZN, with the deal being a reported $365 million. Canelo is recognized as the top superstar in the sport.
“I’m glad we got the fight done and I’m glad we have a long-lasting relationship that we will fulfill,” De La Hoya said.
“We’re under contract for his next 10 fights, so I’m glad that we got him what he wanted. We had to put up with a lot of B.S. from other promoters who were making it impossible to make a fight. That’s what happens when you’re the biggest athlete in the sport and making the most money; you have a target on your back and as a promoter you get the backlash. Everybody wants to sabotage our relationship but everything is fine.”