By Miguel Rivera
The godfather of Mexican boxing, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., sees nothing wrong with Canelo Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KOs) moving up to 168-pounds to pursue another world title.
Last week, Canelo announced that he was moving up to super middleweight to challenge WBA "regular" champion Rocky Fielding (27-1, 15 KOs).
As part of the event, Canelo will make his New York City debut when he faces Fielding on Saturday, Dec. 15 at Madison Square Garden.
There were many fans who believed Canelo would return against his WBA mandatory challenger, David Lemieux of Canada.
Chavez sees no point in the 28-year-old native of Guadalajara, Mexico facing Lemieux. Canelo will look to capture a world title in a third division against Fielding.
"Lemieux does not bring anything, we know that Canelo is far superior to Lemieux. I think Canelo deserves to fight for another world championship and is looking for another challenge in his career," said Chavez to ESPN Deportes.
In his last bout, Canelo picked up a major win against Gennady "GGG" Golovkin in their highly anticipated rematch in September In doing so, he captured the WBC, WBA middleweight world title.
The win was a twelve round majority decision. There were many who scored the rematch as a draw, but Chavez felt Canelo deserved the victory.
"It was a close fight that could go either way, but the one who led the fight, the pace, was Canelo. He was asked to come forward and he did it, and we saw an exhausted Golovkin, he was extremely tired," Chavez said.
Fielding is a 31-year-old native of Liverpool, England who climbed the 168-pound rankings by fighting the toughest fighters in his native country. Fielding has only suffered one loss in his career, against who would eventually be a world champion in Callum Smith. Since then, he has scored six victories in a row.