Saúl "Canelo" Álvarez has given his take on the recent statements that were made by Sergey Kovalev.
Earlier this month at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Canelo moved up by two weight divisions and knocked out Kovalev in the eleventh round to capture the WBO light heavyweight title.
According to Kovalev, he was physically spent, at 36-years-old, because of back to back training camps. He had a grueling fight in late August with Anthony Yarde in Russia, and then took very little time off before going right back into training camp to face Canelo on November 2.
Because of the constant training and dieting, Kovalev admitting in a social media video that he was questioning his ability to beat Canelo as the fight night approached.
He says Canelo was not under the same pressure, because he was moving up by two weight classes and practically fighting at his walking weight.
Kovalev says the payday to fight Canelo was too lucrative to pass up. He reportedly was paid a package of $12 million.
But Canelo is not buying his statements and believes Kovalev is just making excuses.
"He's a bad loser, because that [the weight] has nothing to do with it, all of the fighters battle with the weight. All fighters battle with the weight. An excuse like that makes no sense," Canelo told ESPN Deportes.
Because of Kovalev's comments, there were numerous claims on social media of a fixed fight.
"The media take things out of context, if you start studying boxing, you can give your point of view and know what you are talking about," said Canelo. "It didn't affect me, everyone fights for money.
"Since the age of 15 I have fought with the best. When I fought with Lara, I was 23 and he was 29 or 30. Why don't you give me the credit when I go up two divisions to win a title. You (the media) have to get study things well to give the people an explanation, be objective."