by Steve Kim
While the negotiations are still on-going for the rematch between IBF, IBO, WBC, WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (37-0-1, 33 KOs) and Mexican superstar Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs), should this come to fruition, the date has already been selected.
"It will be Cinco de Mayo (May 5th, 2018), Cinco de Mayo falls on Saturday this upcoming year," pointed out Eric Gomez, the president of Golden Boy Promotions - which handles Alvarez - during his in-studio visit on 'the 3 Knockdown Rule' with Mario Lopez.
"We had been thinking about doing it sooner, maybe March, we had some other ideas but now 'Canelo' came back and said, 'Lets do it Cinco de Mayo."
The first encounter - which ended in a controversial twelve round split draw on September 16th - was held at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. It's assumed that the second go-around will take place in the same venue.
But Gomez said - "the venue is up in the air. Jerry Jones (owner of the Dallas Cowboys and AT&T Stadium) came back and wants to meet with us. Madison Square Garden wants to meet with us. They've told us, 'Look, we're serious, we really want the rematch, we want an opportunity to meet.' We're going to give them an opportunity to sit down and meet with them."
Odds are though, that it will be Las Vegas that lands this fight again because of it's built in resources and infrastructure.
"Yes, it's hard to compete with Vegas," admitted Gomez, who added, "the amenities in Vegas are unmatched around the world. There's so many amenities and there's a reason why these high rollers come in and you charge bigger ticket prices - but that's because of the amenities. How many suites do they have in Vegas?
"The entertainment, the restaurants, the gambling, everything."
Steve Kim is the news editor for BoxingScene.com.