By Steve Kim
With much fanfare last week it was announced that Mexican superstar, Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KOs), had come to an incredibly lucrative agreement with DAZN, that will pay him $365 million for his next 11 bouts that will be broadcast on the streaming platform which is investing heavily into the sport of boxing.
The deal was brokered by Golden Boy Promotions, which in the process will see themselves promoting Alvarez for the foreseeable future.
Golden Boy President, Eric Gomez, told BoxingScene.com - "It's in line with DAZN agreement and we extended with him by like four fights. So he's with us, he's very happy. Both of us have done right by each other."
During his tenure with Golden Boy, Alvarez has become one of the games biggest stars and a true pay-per-view franchise. His first bout under his new deal with DAZN comes on December 15th at the Madison Square Garden in New York versus WBA "regular" super middleweight, Rocky Fielding.
When asked if he believes Alvarez, who defeated Gennady Golovkin in their rematch on September 15th, will stay with their company for the rest of his career, Gomez answered with a chuckle, "I would hope, he's been with us for over ten years now. So another ten, why not?"
Canelo became a network free agent last month, after his contract expired with HBO. In his last bout for the network, he won a twelve round majority decision over Gennady Golovkin in a highly anticipated rematch, to capture the WBC WBA middleweight titles at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Should Canelo win in December, promoter Eddie Hearn - who also has a long-term deal with DAZN - says his boxer Daniel Jacobs, who fights on Saturday night for the IBF title, in victory would become a frontrunner to face the Mexican star.
Steve Kim is the news editor for BoxingScene.com.