Carlos “Caballo Bronco” Adames (23-1) shined once again last Saturday night. The WBC interim middleweight champion successfully defended his title against former unified super welterweight champion Julian “J Rock” Williams (28-4-1), stopping him in 9 rounds in a Showtime Championship Boxing main event.
The 29-year-old Dominican Republic native has been angling for a showdown against WBC middleweight champion Jermall Charlo for over a year, but so far hasn’t had any luck with securing the clash.
“I’ve been asking to fight Charlo but he has been out for two years so it’s time he fights me as his mandatory or he gives up the title so I can be the full champion,” Adames told BoxingScene.com.
Charlo, however, appears to be headed towards a fall super middleweight mega-fight against Canelo Alvarez for all four of the Mexican’s titles in the weight class.
If the highly anticipated fight comes to fruition, Adames would like nothing more than to face the winner.
“Like I said, I’ve wanted to fight Charlo and of course I want to fight Canelo. If they fight, I have no problem moving up to fight the winner. I’m the best fighter from 154-168 pounds and I keep proving it every fight,” said Adames.
“Let me get my hands on either guy and you will see me take it to an even higher level. Charlo has refused to fight me but he can’t duck me forever.
“Canelo is now with PBC so there are no excuses. We are all on the same side of the street. Let’s make these fights that the fans want and see who the best fighter really is.”
Send questions or comments to email@example.com. You can follow Ryan on Twitter @ringsidewriter