Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is 155 or 160 an issue if there is no same day weigh in?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by icha View Post
    i agree with the bolded, but lets not fool anybody, ggg and the wbc want canelo to keep the belt ...
    now the 1lb deal is nothing but speculation at this point, neither fighter has offered to negotiate the weight, ggg said 160 only and canelo said 155... really hope this changes next year...
    IMO GGG only wants Canelo to keep the belt cause it creates a mandate for the fight. If Canelo was gonna fight him either way, GGG might as well come in with all the belts cause it gives him more leverage. They're not gonna start negotiating the weight till Canelo gets done with his voluntary

Comment

Originally posted by IllegalDeath View Post
      Lets see it this way,
      If GGG vs Canelo happens at 160

Canelo can re-hydrate to 165-175 plus on the fight night like he does everytime.
      GGG will re-hydrate to near 170 as well its not like suddenly for one fight he will go over 180.

If its at 155 Canelo like every fight will re to 170+ and if Canelo can get 15 extra pounds in a day so can GGG.

So the point is whatever weight they fight in, at fight night they will probably of the same weight - 155 wont stop GGG to get to his normal fight night weight just like it doesn't stop Canelo. I see no advantage for either fighter on either 155 or 160

Am I missing something here ?
      You must realise that cutting 5lb of muscle and fat is not the same as putting on 15lb of fluids.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        IMO GGG only wants Canelo to keep the belt cause it creates a mandate for the fight. If Canelo was gonna fight him either way, GGG might as well come in with all the belts cause it gives him more leverage. They're not gonna start negotiating the weight till Canelo gets done with his voluntary
        thats what i thought ....

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          You must realise that cutting 5lb of muscle and fat is not the same as putting on 15lb of fluids.
          most posters are clueless when it comes to rehydration..
          next thing you know people are going to ask brandon rios to fight ward...

Comment

most posters are clueless when it comes to rehydration..
            next thing you know people are going to ask brandon rios to fight ward...
            I know, smh. It's an uphill battle

Comment

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
              Kovalev is in the worst situation he doesn't have a CW frame but theres a huge gap in weight if he moves up. I remember Kov saying he wanted a weight class in between LW and CW.
              well Kov can just challenge the current cruiserweight champions to defend their titles at 176. Thats the way this sport is heading.......

Comment

how is ggg drained at 155?? he said he can make 154 easy for a big ppv fight... if he isn't drained for a ppv fight he souldnt be drained to any other fight at all... and I get it, if the title is on the line it should be 160...
                GGG would be drained if he made 154 for Floyd, but he would be fighting a smaller man.

Floyd doesn't come in at 175 on fight night, like Canelo does!

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                  GGG would be drained if he made 154 for Floyd, but he would be fighting a smaller man.

Floyd doesn't come in at 175 on fight night, like Canelo does!
                  he said he could make weight easy and healthy...

Comment

Originally posted by IllegalDeath View Post
                    Lets see it this way,
                    If GGG vs Canelo happens at 160

Canelo can re-hydrate to 165-175 plus on the fight night like he does everytime.
                    GGG will re-hydrate to near 170 as well its not like suddenly for one fight he will go over 180.

If its at 155 Canelo like every fight will re to 170+ and if Canelo can get 15 extra pounds in a day so can GGG.

So the point is whatever weight they fight in, at fight night they will probably of the same weight - 155 wont stop GGG to get to his normal fight night weight just like it doesn't stop Canelo. I see no advantage for either fighter on either 155 or 160

Am I missing something here ?
                    What you are missing is that cutting weight weakens a fighter, and it takes a while to recover back to 100%

A young man in his 20's, like Canelo, recovers faster than a man in his 30's.

That is the problem for GGG if he agrees to 155. He would be the same size for the fight as when he weighs in at 160, but he would not have the same strength and energy.

Cutting weight can affect punch resistance too. And again, a younger man will get his "chin" back quicker than an older man.

Comment

he said he could make weight easy and healthy...
                      It maybe wouldn't make him ill, but whatever he says, he is going to be weaker after making 154 than he is after making 160.

Comment

Working...
                      X