Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxers who kept their wealth after they retired

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how did that work? People invested in his career, bought stock on him or something? Then I guess when he made enough to pay for all his shares he owned 100% of them? And does that still pay dividends now?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      So how did that work? People invested in his career, bought stock on him or something? Then I guess when he made enough to pay for all his shares he owned 100% of them? And does that still pay dividends now?
      Anthony, when you decide to go public you give up ownership to stockholders. The only way to maintain control is to never let any investor(s) own more than 50% of the company. Ever hear of a hostile takeover? thats when a group conspires to buy a majority share and take a company over....So many companies get destroyed this way.

While I do not know Ray's situation per se I can see a situation where his name may have been sold as intellectual property to a group. If he dealt with investors its entirely conceviable that he had to buy back something related to his business.

Comment

Originally posted by Juof View Post
        Alot of fighters end up broke when they retire i was suprised to see leonard still has a networth if 100+ million. What fighters kept their wealth after they retired?
        Not nearly enough.

Comment

Tunney not only kept his money, it translated to the next generation. His son was a congressional representative and two term senator from California. Jimmy McLarnin kept his money and lived well into his 90s. When his trainer died- he'd started Jimmy boxing at 10 and turned him pro at 14- he left McLarnin over $300,000 (a lot at the time), which was every penny he'd taken as payment for managing and training Jimmy over the course of his career.

Comment

James Buster Douglas held on to his money and did well with real estate...he is actuality quite well off today.

Comment

some nice success stories although I am not sure about duran he was fighting in his fifties. I here he has a successful café.

Comment

Nassem hamed
                Micky ward
                aurto gatti rip
                Marvin hagler
                Ricky hatton seems to be doing fine even after his coke addiction
                Winky wright
                Paul Williams
                Last edited by MRBOOMER; 06-01-2013, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Yeah, but too bad Williams didn't get to his big pay per view fight just before his accident.

Comment

big
                    george
                    foreman

Comment

He doesn't live like a millionaire, but I've gotten to know Mark Breland and he seems to be doing very comfortably in his post-boxing days.

Comment

Working...
                      X