No announcement yet.

Is Canelo's punching power overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony Birts View Post
    I think it is because he couldnt knockout Shane Mosley, but he knocked out all his other opponents with ease. Shane Mosley had the same come-forward style as all of Canelo's opponents. He landed over 50% of his power punches on Shane Mosley and he couldnt even knock him down.
    Well yeah, he's been Ko'ing everyone from Matthew Hatton and Lovemore N'dou to Lanardo Tyner and Larry Mosely; that brutal Trout KO was a definite KOTY as well. He definitely doesn't have one punch knockout power but his combination punching to the body and head is pretty impressive.

Comment

Maybe you're right I mean looking back and though Mosley won, Cano seemed to hurt Mosley a lot worse than Canelo did and far more often.

Either way I feel Canelo's not a huge puncher and a fairly mediocre one when taking his size into equation.

Comment

his power and chin are overrated

Comment

Originally posted by SugarAnt05 View Post
          And the gomez stoppage was..meh.
          It was bull****.

Comment

He definitely can punch but I do think it's abit overrated yes.

Comment

Yes its overrated and his stoppages against Gomez, Spice boy, and Cotto were a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyLungs
                i remember in the late rounds he caught mosley with a good shot and mosley started to cling on...but the fact is canelo was MUCH younger, MUCH bigger, and many people expected canelo to score the stoppage...but no matter what canelo did he couldn't do it (even at the end you could see canelo was a bit disappointed that he failed to stop mosley)..and in fact mosley put on a more respectable and braver performance than many anticipated of him considering how scared and awful he looked against pac.

mosley said canelo hits about as hard as mayweather...and i think he's right...he did fight both guys afterall ...
                mosley also said canelo is really fast but you wont take those words will you??

Comment

He puts people on the floor like a floor tile.

Comment

Even amongst informed boxing fans who should know better, they see Canelo's physical size and assume he's a bigger puncher than someone who might not look as physically strong.

As always, muscle size / strength is only one aspect of many when it comes to punching power. According to Shane, Canelo and Floyd have more or less equal punching power, and it's respectable. Not bad, not great.

Comment

Mosley said the ginger punches as hard as Cherrypicker

Comment

Working...
                      X