Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kell Brook is brave but Saunders & Jacobs are afraid?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
    Can the argument be made that the middleweight division is the biggest joke in boxing today?
    Rampant ducking is not only in the mw division. Brook was calling out Garcia for a unification fight in the US. Garcia never responded. He hid himself from the media and only surfaced when he learned the Vargas fight was being made.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
      Can the argument be made that the middleweight division is the biggest joke in boxing today?
      Is there an argument for any other division?

If they were just ducking Golovkin it would be one thing, but are any of these other middleweights even fighting each other? It's an awful, awful weight class.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        If Brook was offered the same deal as Eubank Jr, $3-$4 mil, why is he considered brave when that's what Jacobs and Saunders wanted? When they said that they were called scared or accused of ducking.

Kell didn't want to fight Vargas because he was getting paid less than Vargas $1.7 mil. The money wasn't good enough for the risk he was taking. Which brings me back to what most of us have been saying. Nobody is afraid of GGG. They want to be compensated properly for the risk they're taking.
        BJS said he wasn't ready for GGG and Jacobs said he won't fight him for 18 months, or whatever time frame he gave.

Comment

Originally posted by cork View Post
          You seem level headed so I'll ask you a question. What would happen if ggg said I won't fight "insert name" unless he's compensated properly? Their would be a ****storm about him ducking but when it comes to other people it's ok for them for some reason I'm not sure. Why not just beat the best and then build your own brand instead of piggy backing on someone's else success?
          Golovkin has already done that very thing, in refusing to engage in discussions for fights against Andre Ward and Erislandy Lara, and drew absolutely no pushback, with enough of the boxing press spinning his story that even the folks who question the move get flamed.

Don't get it twisted, Golovkin apparently took home $2m for the Lemieux fight, $1.5m for the Wade fight, and $1.4m for the Monroe Jr fight, with the excuse for weak opposition always being that the other guy wanted too much money.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
            It depends on who he's fighting and what he's offered. You can't expect him to fight Ward or Canelo for the same money he'll get fighting Dominic Wade. That's ridiculous. When Oscar said the split should be 90/10 everybody called B.S.
            Was it though?

Even for this coming Golovkin fight, if Eddie Hearn is being honest about the breakdown, Golovkin is walking away with a flat fee, the US TV rights, and the German TV rights, while Kell Brook is seemingly making 80/20 with Matchroom on the net revenues on the event.

Saul Alvarez, on the coming Liam Smith fight, is likely to clear a downside of at least $50m in fight revenue; Gennady Golovkin may have been able to clear $8m in fight revenue for the Lemieux fight, and he and his camp have done nothing to help grow that number for the next time they take a shot at PPV.

From a purely business perspective, with Alvarez making it clear that Golovkin's belts mean jack **** to him, why would Alvarez offer Golovkin more than 10% on the event (or some flat fee with the German TV rights on the front end) when he could literally fight any 154/147 fighter on the planet, and walk away with his 85% share with Golden Boy on an event that will move money?

people drastically overestimate Golovkin's value, imo

Comment

Originally posted by MindGame View Post
              Barely won 6 Rounds, Really ???
              Perhaps you missed the 4 KNOCK DOWNS Lemieux put on N'Dam ???

Unless you have a agenda, 4 KNOCK DOWNS are very hard to get past...
              Lemieux knocked N'Dam down four times (of which he popped up all three times), over the course of three rounds; fact. You look at the other 9 rounds, though, and Lemieux got his **** pushed in by N'Dam.

Sit and watch the fight; rather than just going off of the box score and creating an image in your mind, hop on YouTube and see the fight. You can't tell me of six rounds in that fight where you could say that Lemieux was clearly winning, though the knockdowns did make the three rounds that he for sure won worth a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
                I'm certainly not defending GGG on taking Brook, but the answer to your question is obvious. Jacobs vs GGG will never generate the revenue to justify that kind of money, and I do mean never. The only place any fighter is making that kind of change who is'nt named Canelo, Mayweather, Pac, Cotto or a heavyweight, is in the UK. As far as BJS goes. Do some reserach into Matchroom vs Frank Warren and again the answer is crystal clear. Warren can't compete with Matchroom when it comes to money. If BJS was with Matchroom we would already have an undisputed MW champion.

Plus the whole compensated properly has become such a generalized statement that it has no meaning. Hell I think I should get a million dollars and *******s all day for taking the risks I do at work, but good luck with that.
                Trust me, I agree. I've been saying the same thing. Warren can't afford to bring GGG over and GGG can't afford to bring Saunders over. Tom Loeffler also said the money for the Jacobs-GGG fight isn't there right now. It would have to be a PPV and they'd have to build it up. So when people talk about Jacobs saying 18 months or so, he's saying the same thing Loeffler is saying. In other words, the fight needs to marinate.

Comment

Originally posted by Pain~Lucy View Post
                  hold your horse their bruh, proof or he'll only make less than $1m lmao and im talking about his purse
                  Daniel Jacobs is the lead face for Barclays Center's "Brooklyn Boxing" brand, is the best middleweight fighter under the PBC/Showtime umbrella, and is staking his claim as the Brooklyn-born fighter, fighting in Brooklyn.

If you honestly think that he's going to make less than $1m, especially in a situation where he's headlining a show in Brooklyn, you played yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                    Was it though?

Even for this coming Golovkin fight, if Eddie Hearn is being honest about the breakdown, Golovkin is walking away with a flat fee, the US TV rights, and the German TV rights, while Kell Brook is seemingly making 80/20 with Matchroom on the net revenues on the event.

Saul Alvarez, on the coming Liam Smith fight, is likely to clear a downside of at least $50m in fight revenue; Gennady Golovkin may have been able to clear $8m in fight revenue for the Lemieux fight, and he and his camp have done nothing to help grow that number for the next time they take a shot at PPV.

From a purely business perspective, with Alvarez making it clear that Golovkin's belts mean jack **** to him, why would Alvarez offer Golovkin more than 10% on the event (or some flat fee with the German TV rights on the front end) when he could literally fight any 154/147 fighter on the planet, and walk away with his 85% share with Golden Boy on an event that will move money?

people drastically overestimate Golovkin's value, imo
                    I thought it was outrageous at the time but looking into this whole situation with Eubank Jr made me realize Oscar was correct. If you can't afford to bring over a European domestic champ you shouldn't be trying to force a purse bid on Canelo. I get what Canelo was saying when he told GGG to take the risks he's taken to get where he's at. GGG and company were looking for a payday they didn't deserve with a 55-45 split. The mandatory position was a sneaky way to get more than they deserved. That's why they kept delaying the fight with Cotto and Canelo.

Comment

Brook generates the money. Hearn & sky are stumping up the money, GGG is taking a cut. Unfortunately Jacobs and BJS can't do that, so we're stuck with a ****ing welter vs the no.1 middleweight

Comment

Working...
                      X