Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali or Lewis: better resume of power punchers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    "although Ali in his prime may not have been stopped as much as Lewis was".

Ali was never stopped, the Holmes bout was a RTD corner stopped the bout which is a tko to me but not officially.

Ali fought 548 rounds to Lennox fighting 225 rds not much comparison there.

Foreman, Shavers, Frazier 3x, Liston 2x, Lyle pretty much trumps anything Lennox has to offer.

To me Shavers, Foreman, Liston and Lyle were great punchers and hit as hard and harder than anyone Lewis fought.
    Ray
    Mr Corso I guess I should have had said Ali would not have been stopped by anyone but I do disagree with you on one point Ali could have been seriously hurt by Larry that night. Larry was a top 10 of all time heavyweight in the prime of his career for that fight Ali unwisely took diuretics which drained him. He was far from his prime and would IMO have lost to Larry anyhow but with the weight loss medication he was a virtual punching bag. He may have not have been knocked unconscious but if Larry would have indented to it would have happened. Larry begged the ref to stop the fight and finally Dundee requested the stoppage.

Comment

Where did I say he couldn't be hurt?
      When he disrobed and I saw his body shape I knew he had trained to lose weight and nothing else. He was 217lbs and that was ridiculous. Obviously he took short cuts to strip the weight he was probably 240lbs entering camp.
      Ray

Comment

Originally posted by WTF Huck! View Post
        If you're considering Patterson, Cooper and Chuvalo then might as well include Golota, Mason and Mavrovic for Lewis.
        I'll replace Chuvalo with Quarry but Cooper and his left hook are solidified in boxing history. lol @ questioning Floyd Patterson being on the list. Golota was not a puncher and although the other two were hitters, Lewis was their only top opponent while they just stayed feasting on cans in Europe and GB.

Anyhow, with Ali being in the lead it looks like most people don't agree with your theory that Lewis fought significantly harder and more punchers than Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          Where did I say he couldn't be hurt?
          When he disrobed and I saw his body shape I knew he had trained to lose weight and nothing else. He was 217lbs and that was ridiculous. Obviously he took short cuts to strip the weight he was probably 240lbs entering camp.
          Ray
          we are in total agreement

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            Lewis has a great puncher resume but gave the edge to Ali because he fought two of the hardest punchers of all time and three of the top 15 in history.
            That was my view on this also.

Comment

Lewis fought the harder punchers !

Comment

Lewis fought more quantity but Ali definitley fought more quality. That is the difference between the 1970s and the 1990s-2000s. Quality is miles better than quantity.

Comment

Not really debatable IMO.

Definitely Ali.

Foreman, Liston, Shavers.

3 of the most concussive punchers of all time.

Comment

lennox lewis's is better. what more can you do than beat every opponent youve ever fought?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                      lennox lewis's is better. what more can you do than beat every opponent youve ever fought?
                      You can't really be this stupid. Foreman, Frazier, Norton, Shavers, Liston, Patterson, the obvious answer is ALI!

Comment

Working...
                      X