Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larry Homes better than Ali? Should Holmes be GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hop View Post
    One of my dirty little boxing secrets (I've got a few): I don't rate Holmes as highly as most currently do. (Doesn't mean I'm calling him average.)
    Don't feel bad. I don't rank him as highly as I used to. The longer I've gone on and had a chance to reflect and rewatch his fights, the more I've been able to put his place in history more in perspective.

He was a great fighter; but due largely to the politics of the day, we'll never truly know how good he was or wasn't. Fights that should have happened; but didn't, thanks in large part to Don King were Weaver II, Dokes, Coetzee, Page, Thomas, Witherspoon II.

These matchups against the "second-best(s) of his reign would have gone a long way to clearing up the puzzle. This is why I hate alphabet soup titles.

There's one world.....there should be One World Champion in each division.
    Last edited by K-DOGG; 08-26-2013, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
      Don't feel bad. I don't rank him as highly as I used to. The longer I've gone on and had a chance to reflect and rematch his fights, the more I've been able to put his place in history more in perspective.

He was a great fighter; but due largely to the politics of the day, we'll never truly know how good he was or wasn't. Fights that should have happened; but didn't, thanks in large part to Don King were Weaver II, Dokes, Coetzee, Page, Thomas, Witherspoon II.

These matchups against the "second-best(s) of his reign would have gone a long way to clearing up the puzzle. This is why I hate alphabet soup titles.

Amen K-Dogg. And Holmes will always be one of my favorite heavyweights.

Comment

Put that on T-shirts and bumper stickers, I say!

Comment

/greeh

Comment

Don't feel bad. I don't rank him as highly as I used to. The longer I've gone on and had a chance to reflect and rewatch his fights, the more I've been able to put his place in history more in perspective.

At the very least, the Mike Weaver rematch should have happened after Weaver became WBA champion. The first fight was good enough and exciting enough to warrant a rematch.

There was no excuse for Holmes not fighting him again.

Comment

In an English survey, people were asked who was the greatest athlete of all time.
              It showed, that we chose the person who was at top when we ourselves were teenagers – the time in our life when we idolize celebrities at most.

I was a teen when Larry Holmes ruled, so – of course – I think he could have handled every other champ.
              If I had been born in the late 30s, I still would have think that no one could ever have beaten Rocky Marciano.
              And if I had been born some 15 years ago, I’d be convinced that Klitschkos are the best ever.

I believe every champ has deserved his moment of glory, being of great importance for the young fans of his time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                It showed, that we chose the person who was at top when we ourselves were teenagers.
                And I was a teenager in the 1970's, and I believe it was the greatest heavyweight era of all-time . . . because it was the greatest heavyweight era of all-time!

Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Norton, Holmes, Shavers, Young, Lyle, Ellis, Patterson (tail end), Weaver, Quarry, Bonavena, Foster, Chuvalo, L. Spinks

Comment

I'm a serious Holmes fan, but no way is he better than Ali. I got him rated 3rd all time (behind Ali and Louis). I can't believe anyone actually thinks Foreman could have ever beaten Larry

Comment

Working...
                  X