No announcement yet.

worst heavyweight champion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
    Baer and Johansson have been mentioned here.

In terms of skills, they certainly weren’t bad, but they could very well belong in the “worst” category because they didn’t bother to spend much time focusing on their first defense.

Which takes us to the 1980’s alphabet champs … So much talent, so much waste.
    Baer wasn't that bad, what he was was a one trick poney, but that trick was quite a trick indeed. Watch maxie on film throw that thing...it did not have the straightness, untelegraphed look of a Louis punch, but with respect to speed and power it is on a short list for one of the most powerful right hands...ever. And with respect to delivery max got it home enough to win, though he did not train enough to be one of the greatest.

Comment

I would say Jess Willard. Resume based on a dive, no defenses in years and get shattered by Dempsey inside 3 rounds.

Also, zero skillset to talk about.

Comment

I think , Tyson Fury is the heavy weight champion ...
        Fury charmed much of the audience with his off-key rendition of Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" after winning the heavyweight boxing crown. But inside the ring, he did little to impress the millions around the globe who watched his tepid performance against the division's longtime kingpin.

Comment

Monte Masters.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            Monte Masters.
            Lol, interesting pick and difficult to argue. Bequethed a heavyweight championship by Pat O'Grady and than stripped of that title for divorcing his daughter.

Comment

I guess these polls don't have an edit feature? Whose Basin Rahman?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                I guess these polls don't have an edit feature? Whose Basin Rahman?
                No edit feature that I'm aware of or I would have changed it to lineal champions only. Sonny was bashing Rahman in his never ending quest to bash Lewis. Said Rahman was "easily" the worst heavyweight champion in history.
                Last edited by JAB5239; 02-22-2016, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  No edit feature that I'm aware of or I would have changed it to lineal champions only. Sonny was bashing Rahman in his never ending quest to bash Lewis. Said Rahman was "easily" the worst heavyweight champion in history.
                  Lol Sonny is so transparent.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    Well Rahman WAS lineal, actually. The lineage started from Patteron and ended after Lewis regained the title from Rahman and then started up again with Wlad later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemus View Post
                      Baer? Not a chance.
                      Well, Baer had what it took to be a formidable candidate in the early 1930s.

Unfortunately, the story about this easy-going fellow is that he approached his occupation in a dedicated way a bit too late.

Before the Louis fight in ’35, it’s said Baer matured and realized boxing was his way to survive in the harsh times that the decade brought onto people.
                      But in his case, it was too late. He wasn’t that old, but too old and too many fights behind him to be able to adopt new methods.

Comment

Working...
                      X