No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joe Calzaghe: Hopkins in a Dangerous, Difficult Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
    Nobody should ever have accused Calzaghe of avoiding tough opponents again after he fought Jef Lacey.
    When he was IBF champ, Lacy was being talked about in the same way as GGG is today. He was regarded as, without doubt, the best super-middleweight in the world, a fearsome power puncher who would surely destroy anybody who went up against him. The only thing that could stop him becoming the unified champ was that none of the other belt holders wanted to fight him.
    But Calzaghe fought him, and he beat him so badly that all anybody said afterwards was "Wow ... Lacey is ****"
    Well maybe Lacey was ****. Or maybe he was as good as everybody thought he was till then but Joe just broke him.
    Whatever, Calzaghe fought a man that nobody else would fight, and he should get some credit for doing it.
    I just said he gets some credit because he was considered a hard fight. Not to me, but to most.

But there's no maybe about it, he WAS terrible. Always has been always will be.

And that was one of three fighters he fought who was ranked on the top 5 in the divison being fought in. Epic stuff.

Comment

It would be the cherry on top of B-Hop's career, to beat such a monster puncher at his ripe old age. Hope he does it, but a KO inside 7 is more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by cameltoe View Post
        I find it hard to give it to either of them. Sure I get the people who think Joe didn't win, but do you really think Hopkins did?? What did he do all fight except spoil and play act? He wasn't racking up any points that's for sure.

*except round 1
        He took away Joe's best weapon and caught him coming in repeatedly. I don't like the way he fights, but punch for punch he was winning. Joe was an entertainer, maybe even an artist. Sugar Ray Leonard's a fan =]

Comment

Still say B-Hop won that fight 115-112 but made it closer down the stretch that it should of been. Then again I still protest Robin Reid beat Calzaghe as well.

Comment

Interesting a lot comment on Joes workrate but in that fight his punch output was severely limited and he seriously hardly landed a clean punch until the eighth round. It was only from the eighth he started letting his hands go more and swept a few rounds.

B-Hop totally shut his workrate down for most part.

Comment

Yeah I think Hopkins succeeded in disrupting his rhythm, which for a fighter like Joe must be hell. Took him a long time to get into his flow and start doing those beautiful, unpredictable things he would do

Comment

discrediting Calzaghe for that win, which I believe should have been a unanimous decision, is like discrediting Kovalev after he beats Hopkins with the reason being that Hopkins was too old. But let's forget how Dawson handled B-Hop and how Taylor Handled B-Hop and just pretend that every fight this man has been in he ACTUALLY really did deserve the victory for surviving 12 rounds. Kovalev will show no sympathy.

Comment

It has been six plus years and I see that Bhop fans still cannot deal with the fact that Joe beat him.

Comment

Calzaghe's a bad mufcka.

It was a very close fight. Very difficult to score. Very difficult to watch.

But no Joe, every win Hopkins gets does not make you look better.

In fact history will ultimately recognize Bernard as the greater fighter

Comment

effective punches vs sissy punches. It lost Trout the fight against Canelo, but gave Calslappy the win against BHop.

Comment

Working...
                      X