Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Big Shoulders, Biceps, Chest, Etc With This Workout?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CuBaN HaWk View Post
    I like good informative discussions.
    Well I'm informing you that

A) Carl Froch and Amir Kahn are not Big.

and

B) There is not much room to progress with strictly calisthenics.

I never said weight were the only way. But weights will get you bigger and stronger faster and the ceiling when using weights is way higher and there is way more room to progress when you train with weights.

Not getting asked about race or getting told weights are the only way
    I asked because the only huge guys that I know that do bodyweight only training are black and even lot of them still do some type of resistance training using unconventional objects.

Comment

Just how big do you want to be?

The exercises you mention will help you gain muscle, if that's what you want to know. Weights will build muscle very effectively, but if you're on a budget/not able to get to a gym and want to know if you can still make gains then yes you can.

Comment

Are you for real mate? Or are you just putting these threads up to argue with people who tell you to use weights?

Honestly, you say you are asking for advice, one of the members on here who knows most about it gives you advice that you don't necessarily like, and you immediately want to beef about it.

Stop being a tool. If you want the help of people who know a great deal more than you do on the subject then take their requests on board. If you don't then stop creating these threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
          Are you for real mate? Or are you just putting these threads up to argue with people who tell you to use weights?

Honestly, you say you are asking for advice, one of the members on here who knows most about it gives you advice that you don't necessarily like, and you immediately want to beef about it.

Stop being a tool. If you want the help of people who know a great deal more than you do on the subject then take their requests on board. If you don't then stop creating these threads.
          Wow man do my threads effect you this much?

I think it's best you stay in that Aussie Section were you feel you own the place and like 1 poster agrees with everything you say.

How I know your not a good poster is because you never talk about the the old time fighters etc Peter Jackson, Sam Langford etc etc.

Stick to Aussie Boxing & watching a common Roy Jones highlight video on you tube. Because thats as far as your boxing knowlodge goes.

Comment

I think it's best you stay in that Aussie Section were you feel you own the place and like 1 poster agrees with everything you say.

How I know your not a good poster is because you never talk about the the old time fighters etc Peter Jackson, Sam Langford etc etc.

Stick to Aussie Boxing & watching a common Roy Jones highlight video on you tube. Because thats as far as your boxing knowlodge goes.
            Typical type of response to someone who just owned you.

You've made at least 6 threads over the course of a few days asking

Is ____ any good?
            Will ___ work for me?
            What are your thoughts on ____?

and anytime someone gives you advice that contradicts what you believe, you go off and tell them they are wrong.

If you don't like anyone's opinion, then stop asking for them.

Comment

Your threads do not impact on me. I'm just posting as I browse like 99% of the other posters on here.

I'll go wherever I like on the boards thanks champ. Put me on ignore if you feel insulted by what I say.

Not going to bother with the rest of it. I barely post on boxing-related stuff on here anymore since NSB took a serious downward dive, so if you were assessing my knowledge of the sport based on what I post then yeah, it would be pretty limited.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack3d View Post
                Well I'm informing you that

A) Carl Froch and Amir Kahn are not Big.

and

B) There is not much room to progress with strictly calisthenics.

I never said weight were the only way. But weights will get you bigger and stronger faster and the ceiling when using weights is way higher and there is way more room to progress when you train with weights.

I asked because the only huge guys that I know that do bodyweight only training are black and even lot of them still do some type of resistance training using unconventional objects.
                Having being around the whole athletic training scene for a while....

I should say, typical weight training isn't really for boxing though. The reason boxers use calisthenics is because they generally aren't isolation exsersizes. Even the push up requires a decent amount of core strength since if done for high reps is like a plank in some respects.

Typical weight training isn't the fastest or best way to get stronger. It's the best way to get better at weight training, thats about it. If you can shoulder press 150 lbs for reps, thats really only going to marginally strengthen you in a boxing scenario since that movement is rarely if ever, performed in the ring. also considering your weight class limitations and frame size.

So to get too the point, any type of resistance training is like weight training. Your body won't know the difference. You wan't to be strong in every single stabilizer/angle of your body so it's actually functional in the ring. You are throwing punches from every angle for example, thats why a bench press won't really increase your punching power, but doing squat wall balls with a medacine ball will. just work up too a heavy medicine ball if you have too.

I can tell right now you seem to be big on lifting weights and shelling out information to people about how it's good for boxing. Yeah, it won't hurt you if you stay within your weight class, but there are better ways.

Pacquiao and Mayweather use next to 0 forms of traditional weights, and their conditioning coaches get paid nearly half a million a year (ariza said he makes 300k)

Also, this is why naturally strong people are often always stronger than an artificially built one. They are developed in every way because they were born that way. Working out can only target so much, we can't see everything.

An example is George Foreman or Edwin Valero, both tremendously strong for their weight classes, but probably not kings of the bench press (probably not too shabby either though).
                Last edited by them_apples; 09-12-2011, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X