Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Callum Smith Urges Showboating Star Ben Whittaker To Be More Respectful

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Callum Smith Urges Showboating Star Ben Whittaker To Be More Respectful

Callum Smith (29-2, 21 KOs) has urged light-heavyweight talent Ben Whittaker (7-0, 5 KOs) to cut down on his showboating and stick to basics after the former super middleweight champion admitted he found Whittaker's antics "disrespectful."
    [Click Here To Read More]

Couldn’t agree more. His silliness is what has made him stand out and draw attention to himself which is ideal. But it’s over the top at this point. If he dials it back just a little bit for now, keeps improving his game, and continues to win, he has star potential. But just don’t be over the top. There’s a way to show boat and be respectful about it. Here and there in a fight. But if you’re fighting bums and going out and doing it every round or every opportunity you get, it becomes irritating. Also adds a giant target on him. The elites will be dying to get a crack at him. He will have to deal with that constantly if he continues fighting this way. Great potential tho

Comment

I don't like any showboating - none. That said, we live in different times. Ryan Garcia and Jake Paul will now be two of boxing's biggest draws. I get it. If you are fine with alienating a ton of people for your fame, it is fair play these days
      dannnnn dannnnn landotter landotter like this.

Comment

I dunno how I feel about it.

My issue would actually be if he dials it back completely when he goes up the levels because that would make what he's doing now seem less like showboating and more like bullying.

Tbf it may already have happened. He stopped doing it in his last fight once he got nailed with a few hooks.

Roy Jones would showboat against top level fighters. I mean that's fine really because it isn't like the opponent is incapable of taking matters into their own hands and punishing him. They have ample opportunity - if you're as good as James Toney especially.

The reason for it Whittaker would say is that it is tactical. He wants a reaction and fighters to lose their shape and walk on to shots making him more of a knockout threat. He doesn't seem like a particularly big hitter but has scored some nice KO's with opponents walking onto things probably because their annoyed that he's making a c.unt of them on live TV whereas if he was just sticking to the basics maybe they would just tuck up and survive.
        Last edited by Sparked_26; 04-23-2024, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Callum Smith needs to shutup and concentrate on his own career We are living in a social media world his antics might be too much for old timers like me but the youth of today will find a technician like bivol boring and find Ben exciting and I'm sure most of them don't know who the hack is Callum smith but they know Ben and that's how he's going to make money, its a crazy world
          super-x super-x likes this.

Comment

Quite right. The showboating is for casuals who don't realise the role of journeymen in the sport.

It's not even like Whittaker is blowing people away either. For somebody so favourably matched 5 stoppages in 7 isn't anything special.

​​​​​​If he's good enough to be that disrespectful, Boxxer should move him on quickly. Can he still behave like that at domestic title level? Can he do it to a Dan Azeez or a Lyndon Arthur? I hope we find out.
            landotter landotter likes this.

Comment

Callum Smith 175k insta followers compared to whittakers 1.5mil. Showmanship = followers, which counts when it comes to negotiating pay checks for fights and promotional contracts. After all everyones in it to get paid.

Comment

Callum needs to worry about not ending up skint cause he's not the sharpest. Surprised he hasn't gone begging back to Joe G, I'm lost without you Joe get me a few cab drivers on my record, we can fool the public and the ring magazine again. Unfortunately for Callum his catch and counter left hook only works at British level. Also he might want to get a new manager, if he is getting molly-whopped by Canelo and Ryder who are half his size what is he doing choosing beterbiev he should have been trying to face bivol.
                Last edited by knockoutkid; 04-23-2024, 07:14 AM.

Comment

I don't mind showboating at all. You only dislike it because he wins. You celebrate when he loses. And that's the fun part. You should complain, instead, about his level of opponents, nothing else. Stop crying and give him KO artists, top talents, champions, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by brettWall View Post
                    I don't mind showboating at all. You only dislike it because he wins. You celebrate when he loses. And that's the fun part. You should complain, instead, about his level of opponents, nothing else. Stop crying and give him KO artists, top talents, champions, etc.
                    The only thing that chaps my ass, which may or may not apply here - is when a 15-0 fighter knocks out a 13-6-2 hapless opponent and then prances around the ring like their sht doesn't stink. Thats when I want to see the 15-0 fighter get knocked out face first or leg quiver style.

Comment

Working...
                    X