By Declan Taylor, courtesy of The Daily Star
DEONTAY WILDER says Anthony Joshua is running scared of a mega-money shot at his WBC heavyweight title.
The big-punching American moved to 40-0 by stopping the previously undefeated Luis Ortiz in the 10th round of their classic in Brooklyn on Saturday night.
Wilder has now successfully defended his WBC strap seven times.
And he is now hoping to land a crack at Joshua’s WBA, IBO and IBF titles, while the Londoner could add Joseph Parker’s WBO belt in Cardiff on March 31.
But the 32-year-old Alabaman admits he is starting to lose hope of ever getting it on with Joshua, who he believes is ducking him.
He said: “They have never wanted the fight and after seeing what I did to Luis Ortiz they are definitely not going to want it.
“How many times do I have to call him out? How many times – they are hiding.
“Whenever they are ready, we are ready. How many times do we have to call? All they have to do is pick up the phone.”
Wilder floored Ortiz in the fifth round but had to withstand heavy pressure as the Cuban southpaw piled on the punishment in the seventh round.
The champion then turned the tide again in the 10th and closed the show with a vicious right uppercut which forced referee David Fields to wave the fight off.
Now Wilder will put his feet up before jetting in to Cardiff to sit ringside for Joshua-Parker on Easter Saturday.
He hopes his presence will help to force through a fight with the winner.
He added: “All I want to do is prove to the world that I am the best, that I am the baddest man on the planet but they don’t want the fight, man.
“They are trying to manipulate the British fans and they’ve done a great job.”
Meanwhile, Wilder’s promoter Lou DiBella has revealed that Las Vegas is currently the most likely venue for any fight between Joshua and the ‘Bronze Bomber’.
He said: “It could go to a soccer stadium in great Britain but they can’t charge that much per ticket over there.
“From an economic standpoint Vegas would be most likely.”